2C Mag Mod ?

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know if the 6D Krypton lamps will be reliable in a 2C Mag modded to 2xCR123s? :thinking: I know the Xenon lamps will work, but I can get 2 Krypton lamps for less than the price of 1 Xenon.

Im gonna end up making about 5-6 of these "sleeper" lights. Thats why I want to cut the cost down.

thanks

kavvika

Enlightened
I use 5-cell krypton Maglite bulbs in my dads 3x CR123A powered Mag 2C. 17500 or 18500 LiIon batteries could be used if you want a rechargeable solution.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
6 cell krypton bulbs should be fine though not as bright as the xenon.The 5 cell krypton bulbs also work and are brighter than the 6 cell.I prefer overdriving the 5 cell bulbs for the extra brightness.You do give up some bulb life when you overdrive.

Krypton bulbs are generally considered to be more robust when overdriven than xenon bulbs.I am actually using a 5 cell xenon in my 3xCR123 Mag now and it has held up so far.The 5 cell krypton I used previously held up fine but I like the brightness and beam quality of the 5 cell xenon better.

Last edited:

Per Arne

Enlightened
Hi,

What would be the best drop-in LED in a standard 2C for long runing with proper light and be able to use 2x C-batteries on hand; everything from alkaline, lithium, NiMH to li-ion batteries?

Does anybody make a "tube" for 123A/18650 batteries that would fit the 2C body?

Where would I be able to buy a charger for AW's C-cell Li-Ion batteries?

Thanks,
PA

edit: found this "tube" link https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178764

edit: charger here http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169082 or http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=160022
edit: C Li-Ion here http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169872&page=1

Last edited:

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
The best tube i have found is clear flexible tubing, 1.000 OD & .750 ID

once you fit this inside the light, it stays in place, and allows the batteries to drop out into your hand.

and, most hardware stores, will give you the 3.75 inches you need... for FREE because they #1 think you are an idiot and #2 dont want to ring up 3.75 inches of tube.

Compare.jpg

Intube.jpg

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the KPR112 (5 cell) and KPR118 (6 cell) bulbs have been used in this modification. The krypton bulbs seem to have a bit more latitude than the Xenon bulbs, which leads me to believe that the Xenon bulbs are being pushed to their maximum at a nominal 9V. If you want to reduce costs even further, the KPR112 and KPR118 bulbs are a commodity item that can be purchased without Mag branding in many hardware stores.

Does anybody know if the 6D Krypton lamps will be reliable in a 2C Mag modded to 2xCR123s? :thinking: I know the Xenon lamps will work, but I can get 2 Krypton lamps for less than the price of 1 Xenon.

Im gonna end up making about 5-6 of these "sleeper" lights. Thats why I want to cut the cost down.

thanks

davidra

Enlightened
Both the KPR112 (5 cell) and KPR118 (6 cell) bulbs have been used in this modification. The krypton bulbs seem to have a bit more latitude than the Xenon bulbs, which leads me to believe that the Xenon bulbs are being pushed to their maximum at a nominal 9V. If you want to reduce costs even further, the KPR112 and KPR118 bulbs are a commodity item that can be purchased without Mag branding in many hardware stores.

Like Radio Shack....go in and get several KPR112 bulbs, keep a spare in the tailcap. I've moved on to more expensive bulbs (GH24) because they last longer and are sturdier, but the KPR112 is cheap and bright. The 118 is less bright but lasts longer.