Fenix L2D Q5 / CE difference ?

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
hi, i cant find how to differentiate in the forum. so i would like to ask . how do i differentiate a Q5 (175lumens) Head and a normal (135lumens) CE head, other than the label?

i have the L2D-Q5

coz i think its a CE labeled as a Q5. sorry to say this but that is what i was thinking. (is this possible?) reason is because switching from High mode to Turbo mode should be about 70lumens difference, and i dont see the huge jump there.

advice pls . thanks

gnef

Enlightened
advice - get a lux meter and measure.

our eyes see light logarithmically, so it takes a large increase, percentage-wise for our eyes to register the difference.

also, make sure you are using nimh or lithium primary batteries.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a label and more knurling on the premium model heads, compared to the P4.
Check this link out.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/180263
Hope it helps.

And about the lumens jump, it maybe isnt that huge. I havent seen the Q5 in action, but on the p4 it's barely noticable, when you would think that a 45lumens jump or doubling of the lux a 1m would be a huge increase. That is not the case. As mentioned, our eyes percieve lights logaritmically, so unless the increase isn't signifant (like double the amount),you wont notice the difference.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Try shining it outside, the difference should be more evident.

As the above said, out eyes don't detect light linearly so a 2X difference in light won't seem that much to our eye.

:welcome:

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
hi. thanks for the rapid replies! i have made a comparison shots of my l2dq5 so is this considered normal?

gnef

Enlightened
it looks ok to me.

the thing is, it is difficult to compare since you don't give us the f-stop and shutter speed you are using for the shots, and nothing to compare against.

it definitely seems brighter on turbo than on high, is that the affirmation you were looking for?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
your turbo seems fine to me.
if it says q5 on the head, it is a q5, no bones about it.
whether p4 bin or q5 bin, there is only about 20% increase in brightness, NO MATTER WHICH BIN.
the difference is 20% higher than what?
that's where the bin makes the difference, not in the steps.

also, the q5 will have a textured reflector and the ce(p4) will have smooth reflector.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
where did you buy the light from?
it seems you don't trust the source, so i'm guessing not the fenix store.
ebay perhaps?