Anything AA light better than a Streamlight 4AA?

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Last Christmas I gave a Streamlight 4AA light to a friend who is a contractor. He's used it a lot and really likes it. I was going to get him one of the newer 2 AA Fenix lights but saw they don't stay bright for very long on regular batteries. They may be bright for 20 minutes or so then the output drops.

Taking that into consideration I think the Streamlight 4AA is a better light for someone like my friend who would not want to recharge batteries.

Are there any newer lights like the Fenix 2AA's that actually have high output for the life of the battery on regular alkalines?

Thanks,
Dave

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at the Streamlight 2 AA. I think it is also called a ProPoly. It has had good write-ups on CPF. I haven't seen one yet though, so I can't say for sure. I figure "why change a winning play", if your friend likes the 4aa the 2aa might be a good complement to his collection.

meuge

Enlightened
Hi,

Last Christmas I gave a Streamlight 4AA light to a friend who is a contractor. He's used it a lot and really likes it. I was going to get him one of the newer 2 AA Fenix lights but saw they don't stay bright for very long on regular batteries. They may be bright for 20 minutes or so then the output drops.

Taking that into consideration I think the Streamlight 4AA is a better light for someone like my friend who would not want to recharge batteries.

Are there any newer lights like the Fenix 2AA's that actually have high output for the life of the battery on regular alkalines?

Thanks,
Dave
Well, it's not quite as you understand it.

It's not that Fenix lights that are the problem... it's the alkaline batteries.

You see, the Fenix lights are much brighter, but to do that they draw more current... which completely destroys alkaline batteries, because they simply can't handle the draw.

The Streamlight is dimmer, and with its 4 batteries doesn't need to draw nearly as much current as the Fenix lights.

But there is no need to despair... it's really not that difficult to use rechargeables. I mean, I am sure your friend has a cell phone, and power tools... all of those use rechargeable batteries - why does a flashlight have to be different?

BillG

Newly Enlightened
how about a UK 4AA eLED. goes for 12 hrs without any dimming....then another 12+ hrs of diminishing brightness.

it was the first 5 star rating for a polymer light given by quickbeam at flashlight reviews.

outstanding regulation. this is NOT a flame thrower....1 watt led with good flood.

bcwang

Enlightened
I'd say an L2D with a rebel 100 running on low or medium should not hurt alkaline's too badly. And the efficient emitter lets it be about as bright as the propoly 4aa while only being on medium.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the 4AA Luxeon gets about a 4 hour runtime with alkalines. If you compare brightness to the L2D, medium mode is sufficient to beat the Streamlight. And whats the runtime in medium with alkalines? Its ruler flat out to about 7 hours. And thats with 2 batteries, not 4.

So, honestly, I don't think there's any comparison even with alkalines.

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
OK, you guys convinced me. I'm going to have to try the Fenix L2T. If the medium on the Fenix outshines the 4AA I will be very impressed.
Thanks,
Dave

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
an l2t on low wont beat the propoly. and l2d has a medium but will probably have to many modes to fumble with on the work site....maybe the propoly would be the best thing for him.
Medium requires that you click it twice instead of one time. Seriously, the way some people on this forum complain about multi-mode flashlights, it makes me wonder how they ever use complicated devices like computers or automobiles. :laughing:

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Medium requires that you click it twice instead of one time. Seriously, the way some people on this forum complain about multi-mode flashlights, it makes me wonder how they ever use complicated devices like computers or automobiles. :laughing:

ohh im perfectly fine with multi modes, i prefer it. but i know a few people who wouldn't have a clue how to use them...:poke: but anyway an l2d would probably be fine for him but its not made to be a tough work light...