Light with two AA batteries side by side

rtt

Enlightened
I am looking for a compact LED flashlight that uses two AA batteries that are housed side by side to reduce overall length. If you have a light configured like this let me know what you have and what you like and dislike about your light.

I am looking for something that produces about 20 lumens and has a long run time. Flood would be great but not an absolute requirement.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I hope someone can help you out here, I am drawing a blank. There is a double barrel 4 AA light out there that could be cut down and have the emitter changed in. Now if I could just remember it for you...............:thinking:
Sounds like a really cool form factor. I went with the simple LM 31 though your idea makes me want to spend money again.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I hope someone can help you out here, I am drawing a blank. There is a double barrel 4 AA light out there that could be cut down and have the emitter changed in. Now if I could just remember it for you...............:thinking:
Sounds like a really cool form factor. I went with the simple LM 31 though your idea makes me want to spend money again.

UK makes a 2xAAA double barrel, and 4xAA double barrel, but their 2xAA double barrel is only incan.

I remember seeing a hideously expensive double barrel with a dial for brightness 2xAA light around here somewhere, with a dial, but I can't recall the name.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Sidewinder

I personally think that the side by side 2AA makes a whole lot of sense. More efficient than 1AA, can be made brighter than 1AA, and much shorter than 2AA. I much prefer a flat light for in the pocket, but most lights are cylindrical because its easier to machine.

I'd like to see more attempts at this format.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
2AA side by each is a great form factor. I was thinking about it again just the other night. The plastic Duracell Mallory camping/climbing light of the 70s was side by side. Very handy.

As already mentioned above, someone did make a custom side by side with a knob for dimming but I can't remember who either...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Princeton Tec PT-20 running a SMJLED PR bulb which is a nice, compact and long lasting set up. Unfortunately neither the PT-20 nor the SMJLED bulb (version 1) are still available. Oh well....

paulr

Flashaholic
2xaa doesn't make sense for a 20 lumen light with modern leds. A light like that would only need 0.3 watts or so, which is comfortable cruising speed for a single alkaline aa cell. A Peak Pacific HP should be about 20 lumens and run for 8+ hours on one aa.

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
I thought about the whole 2AA side-by-side too, as I was looking at a battery pack for a camcorder that had a 6V lithium battery. I wanted that because there are no rechargable 3V AA or 123 cells readily available in my area... imagine that 6V lithium battery with the proper driver and a Cree emitter! And best of all, all in a light no bigger than a pager!

Burgess

Flashaholic
I've got the exact same setup which Nerdgineer has. (post #9)

Not surprising, since i bought the flashlights on his recommendation. :)

Thank you for the heads-up, Nerdgineer. :wave:

Got 'em (and the Sport Flares) from Camp-Mor,
before they were all gone.

Truly a great host for the (now un-available) SMJLED-PR2 bulbs from Lambda.

Wide flood beam in a very compact, rugged, and water-PROOF flashlight.

:D
_

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the 9v SafeLight Superbright for it's form factor, it's output is only around 3-5 lumens though on high.

I did hear a rumour that an AA version was once on it's way, perhaps with more output, or maybe even CR123 version.

If not, perhaps another enterprising manufacturer could come out with something similar.

Really nice flood beam at the moment, output is also ideal for wandering the corridors at night.

rtt

Enlightened
Out of curiosity, why 2AA's? For just 20 lumens, there are plenty 1xAA lights with long runtimes.

20 lumens is about all the output I require for most of my needs. I would like the extra run time of two AA's versus one AA.