high efficency 5mm led light

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
ok, i'm looking now for a light with a 5mm or multiple 5mm leds that is approaching 100 lumens per watt. i'm thinking nichia ds is the only one capable of this. besides the fenix eo, are there any good 5mm lights out there, with or without different levels. this is a new thing i'll be collecting so i may get a few. even some 32 leds would be fine, down to a single 5mm led light.

main thing is, no inefficent regular leds, i'm looking for efficency here.
aaa aa and d batts preferred.

links are helpful and maybe even a reason why to recomend/sell me on it.
thanks,
jason

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should also mention that aside from dependability, Lumaray has always had effeciency as one of their primary concerns in their designs. The whole idea behind their 5mm arrays is to generate a great deal of light by focusing effecient LEDs, underdriven in their output sweet spot.

I haven't written to them in some time but I know that when the Nichia CS LED came out they switched to it, first in the FL-12 and then in the FL-6. Now that the Nichia DS is available I would think that it's adoption by Lumaray would almost be inevitable. Efficiency is very important to them.

NOTE: As you look over the output/runtime figures in the reviews remember that some of the numbers may reflect the inferior performance of the Nichia pre-CS LEDs used in the first runs of Lumaray lights.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon is one of the first companies to switch to the Nichia DS. They might have some Proton (non-Pro) that uses the DS. But you would want to call and place the order direct form Photon to make sure.

AS far as I know the only other company using the DS is ARC AAA.