Chicks bash Bush.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I think Saddam should award them some type of medal for their service to Iraq.

Some of us are embarrassed the Dixie Chicks are from Texas so I guess it's even. (I grew up there, can't YALL tell?)

Empath

Flashaholic
Maines also says, "I feel the President is ignoring the opinions of many in the U.S. and alienating the rest of the world."

That does seem like a pretty accurate assessment.

Bill.H

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
Maines also says, "I feel the President is ignoring the opinions of many in the U.S. and alienating the rest of the world."

That does seem like a pretty accurate assessment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Accurate, but misleading. "Many", yes, but not "most". And there are some places in the world that we are better off if they're alienated. <insert french joke of the day here>

Greta

Flashaholic
I'm sorry... I'm supposed to care what they think because... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Because freedom of speech works both ways. If you wish to express your point of view to others, you should also expect to hear others express themselves.

Greta

Flashaholic
I never said anything about their right to express it. What I want to know is why I should CARE what they have to say. Do they care what I have to say? Does what I have to say make international headlines? Nope! So who cares what these "chicks" have to say? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dammit- I'm not really much of a music fan in general, but I kind of liked them. Well, that's one more to add to the boycott list.

Also added recently to my boycott list are Motel 6 and Red Roof Inns. They are wholly owned by a french corporation.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't listen to those c***s anyway, so the boycott would affect me very little if at all.
Unless of course, some dillhole played them in a jukebox somewhere, it's not like you can kick over a jukebox like you can kick a toliet off the wall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Maines is also ignoring many of the people in the U.S. that hate their music, so what! You can't make everyone happy.

Somehow it's worse to me when a U.S. citizen makes disparaging remarks about the U.S. when out of the country. Maybe it's because there is no one there to counter their statements. I wonder if these Ambassadors for Iraq's story would have made the news if they had been uttered in the US? Considering the source and location they seem irrelevant. It would have to come from a real Texan, someone like Nolan Ryan, Earl Cambell, George Strait or Leroy Jordon for me to take it seriously. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I consider the Dixie Chicks about as qualified as the swimming pig at Aquarina Springs in San Marcos, TX. at understanding foreign policy. (Anybody besides me ever watched the pig in action? He's a real performer but I admit he can't sing as well as the "Chicks".)

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
Somehow it's worse to me when a U.S. citizen makes disparaging remarks about the U.S. when out of the country. Maybe it's because there is no one there to counter their statements. I wonder if these Ambassadors for Iraq's story would have made the news if they had been uttered in the US? Considering the source and location they seem irrelevant. It would have to come from a real Texan, someone like Nolan Ryan, Earl Cambell, George Strait or Leroy Jordon for me to take it seriously. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Disparaging remarks about the U.S.???
Her remarks was about the president, not the U.S. At no time has a president of the U.S. been granted royalty. The people of the U.S. are not subservient to the president. The president is a servant of the people, paid by the people, and elected to represent the people. The people, whether it's spoken by one or the masses, are not speaking disparaging remarks about the U.S. when they complain about the job their elected officials are doing.

Whether you realize it or not, this forum is an international forum. Our words here are as much representative as if we were standing in other lands stating the same things. Which is more damaging to our image, making an opinionated statement about an official, or showing the world that the concept and ideal of the freedom of speech is only lip service.

So far, in reaction to an American that didn't share our opinion, we've suggested boycott, decorating them as a hero of the "enemy" (branding them traitors to their country), labeled anyone that would play their music as dillholes, calling them ambassadors for the "enemy". Big love of our rights there, huh?

Hey world, we're Americans. We have laws that permit people to speak their minds, even complain about our public officials. But we don't like it. No! Not one little bit. You can speak your mind, but if we can find a way around the law we'll destroy you. Now I'll try typing this quietly, since it's rather embarrassing. A large part of us Americans are hypocrites. The freedoms of U.S. citizens are granted by law, but the law is ALL that grants them, it certainly doesn't seem to be in the hearts of the people.

Now those, Dan.... are disparaging words about the U.S.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
True patriots and Constitutional scholars recognize that the rights are "God given" and that the laws are there to protect those rights; The laws don't GRANT the rights.

The dixie chicks, the martin sheens, the barbra streisands etc. all have a right to say what they want about whatever they want. I have a right to refuse to enrich them by buying their products or listen to them on a commercial broadcast thereby giving them money through royalties and residuals. And I have just as much right to disparage them as they do to disparage President Bush.

No one here (so far, anyway) has advocated killing them for their opinions or forcing them to shut up. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how stupid or un-informed it is.

Why is it that some people think only liberals are entitled to their First Ammendment rights?? They jump all over conservatives when we dare speak out or exercise our freedom of choice.

Raven

Enlightened
They have a right to say what the did, and I have a right to not buy their dvds (which I never did anyway).

It's as simple as that.

The point isn't that they took a stand against the war. The point is that they insulted President Bush, while in a foreign country. They also brought Texas into it.

Dixie Skanks

Raven

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
just how is Bush ignoring US/world opinion?

last poll i saw stated that a majority in the US were for war.

and we are 21-6-6 in world opinion. 21 countries support war, 6 support war with a 2nd resolution. 6 do not support war.

21-6-6. so...how are we "alienating" the world?

i agree with Sasha...the Chix can say whatever they like. i hope they realize that their views are in the miority.

Bob

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
The job of the President isn't to listen to world opinion anyway.

And from a legal point of view the President doesn't even have to listen to the opinion of the American people.

People just got too used to clinton taking a half dozen polls before making any policy decision.

The job of the President is to do what he believes is best, with the advice and consent of Congress. What us peasants think about things really only counts at the ballot box.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Freedom of speech is one of the hallmarks of the United States of America, and must always be fiercely protected. At the very same time, however, a person should always be held accountable for what you choose to say.

The Dixie Chicks should not now try to retreat and hide under the cloak of the First Amendment in a self-serving effort to escape the anger their free speech comments have generated in this country.

Free speech forever! But don`t for one second ever start thinking you can speak your mind and then avoid the judgment of your listeners.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
why actors/singers think they need to give us their political views is beyond me, i don't care. yes, this applies to them if they have views i do as well. i'd rather not know.

the chicks and everybody else need to shut their pie hole about politics and do what we've paid them to do.....