How to blow away an aspheric mag!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
How to blow away an aspheric mag!New pics on 3

I have the longest throwing single emitter LED flashlight in the world. Here it is.
leds017.jpg

Its base is this light from DX. I ripped the guts out and replaced it with a Q5 mounted on a homemade copper pill and an aspheric from a Subaru SVX headlight. It fit into this light like it was designed for it in the first place. I used two of these drivers in parallel. I'm waiting on my protected AA Lithium ions to arrive from DX. So its being run off regular AA for now which is limiting its output somewhat. I measured 1.45A to the LED. Should be close to 2A with the L-ions.
leds018.jpg

I'm going to be making a bezel for it to protect the lens. After that it will be polished.
leds020.jpg

The LED is actually soldered to the copper. The epoxy was added to keep me from ripping the leads off of the LED while I assembled it.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
:bow:
That looks sweet.

What is the diameter and focal length of that aspheric?
Sometimes those cheap battery holders and cheap switches have terrible resistance in them, have you measured yours yet to see if you can get improved performance that way?

And I demand beamshots when you get your batteries in!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now for some beam shots. Keep in mind this is just the starting point. On the finished product the lens will be AR coated, the lens will not be chipped(I was a little ham fisted with it) ,it will be running at 2A instead of 1.45A as in these photos, it will have the R2 bin, and last but not least it will be in better focus(I'm about one mm off right now).
All distances done with my navigation(captured the LON/LAT) combined with google earth. The pics were taken on manual with the same settings for all the shots.
This is from 703'/214 meters away.
leds012.jpg

Next up is the control from 1,261'/384 meters
leds013.jpg

and now the lighted tower at 1,261'

leds014.jpg

Next we have the control at 2,407'/733 meters

leds015.jpg

and the lighted tower at 2,407'

leds016.jpg

Finally ,and this is a bit of a stretch but it was easy to see that the light was making it to the tower, we have 3,757'/1,145 meters. On these last two I zoomed in. First the control.

leds009.jpg

and now the lighted tower at 3,757'.

leds008.jpg

Thats almost 3/4 of a mile! All this with one LED.

Grumpy

Enlightened
Wow!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

This is a great mod.

That looks like a good host for a multiple emitter flood type light also.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
That is amazing!! All that from a 19 dollar light from DX plus some goodies.

I am absolutely unfamiliar with the aspheric lense other that looking at it. May I ask is there an exact distance it must be from the led to get all the light correctly? Do Cree and Seouls act differently under one of those lenses too?

Do you have any idea on runtime with this?

Bob E.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
holy *#^@!!!!! i must build this light! where did you get your subaru lens from?

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why didn't you show a picture of what reflector you're using?

If you aren't using a reflector, you're probably losing 50% of the light into the the flashlight. :shrug:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
:drool::drool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

WOW!, all that from 3xAAA ?
No reflector?, Thats just the LED through the lens? Double WOW!

I'd love to see build-up or piece-part pics & a costed BOM.

How did you mount the SVX lens?
Was the light hard to dis-assemble in the first place?

too cool:thumbsup:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why didn't you show a picture of what reflector you're using?

If you aren't using a reflector, you're probably losing 50% of the light into the the flashlight. :shrug:

The emission pattern for a Cree XRE isn't like those of other LEDs. They project most of their light forward in the first 52 degrees. So any aspheric that has the proper diameter to focal length ratio to catch all those photons works very well.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The emission pattern for a Cree XRE isn't like those of other LEDs. They project most of their light forward in the first 52 degrees. So any aspheric that has the proper diameter to focal length ratio to catch all those photons works very well.
Your right the Cree is perfect for this setup because of its emission pattern. Someone can probably calculate exactly how much the lens picks up but I would guess about 90%. The focal length is about 54mm and diam. 79mm .
Also the surface quality of this lens was not the greatest so I hand polished it. As I mentioned I chipped an area of about 1 1/2 cm x 1 1/2 cm so I'm going to have to do it again before I send it out to be AR coated.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
:drool::drool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

WOW!, all that from 3xAAA ?
No reflector?, Thats just the LED through the lens? Double WOW!

I'd love to see build-up or piece-part pics & a costed BOM.

How did you mount the SVX lens?
Was the light hard to dis-assemble in the first place?

too cool:thumbsup:
The description on DX is wrong its a 4AA light. I knew this however by looking at the photos. And no there is no reflector. You would not want one either as it looks horrible after passing thru a lens from a reflector.

This light is very easy to disasemble. Whats a "costed BOM"?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The description on DX is wrong its a 4AA light. I knew this however by looking at the photos. And no there is no reflector. You would not want one either as it looks horrible after passing thru a lens from a reflector.

This light is very easy to disasemble. Whats a "costed BOM"?

Costed BOM = Bill of Materials, with cost of individual items listed.

Nice work:twothumbs

X_Marine

Enlightened
That looks great..
I have to agree on paralleling 2 sets of AA's, that should give you pretty good run time.
If we can get some Li-IoN C's again that might work also depending on your drivers.

Look forward to seeing that at our DFW area get together.. :poke:
You will be coming? Right?? :D

GJ..:thumbsup:
X..