Junk E-mail

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif Does anybody have a good spam blocker? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Also, does anybody get spam from people who look at CPF if you put your e-mail address up for free viewing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
After 27 years of email for free I finally broke down and got a spamcop account for $30/yr. Now I get maybe 2 a month instead of (literally!) 10 a day. And when I do get one, 2 clicks sends complaint letters to their upstream providers.

Also, NEVER put your address where it can be harvested by a 'bot and never reply to be removed from a mailing list.

Tomas

Banned
Hmmmm ... My current eleven e-mail accounts get about 40 to 60 legit e-mails / day. Added to that is a load of about ten percent (4-6) for SPAM that I have to handle in person.

Considering some of my e-mail addresses have been continuously displayed on active web pages since 1995, that's not all that bad, really. I guess my filters do work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have four layers of SPAM filters: 1) My commercial e-mail address provider (Mail.Com) who does some filtering before forwarding to 2) my ISP, Earthlink.net, who also does some SPAM filtering before 3) my mail client, mail.app v1.2 does some final filtering with it's trainable filters and finally turns over most of my e-mail to 4) me to read or dump in the bit bucket.

There are some decent filters out there, but the only way SPAM will be stopped, or even slowed down appreciably, is to kill off the originators. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've been doing that for many years, but there still seems to be a never ending supply of the scum. *sigh* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I give my Yahoo address WHENEVER possible when doing net stuff. My "REAL" address is given out sparingly.

My Yahoo inbox gets about 10 a day, usually all junk. The Yahoo Bulk box gets 50-60 a day. I've looked at what it puts in there enough times to just delete the lot!

My real address just gets what my friends send me or anything I have going on concerning Ebay. VERY little spam, maybe 1 or 2 a week.

It's a happy compromise!

Get one of the free mailbox servers and use it religiously!

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I got Mailwasher based upon someone's recommendation here at CPF about 6 months or so ago. Whoever that was, thank you very much! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif . It is great.

Just a couple of days ago they released a new "pro" version of it that is even better. Much faster and more powerful and even more convenient. If you manage multiple email accounts it is wonderful. Mailwasher Pro ; It even will tell you if there is a virus (or any other attachment) in the email before you download it from the server!

A lot cheaper than Norton or McAffee; if email attachments are the only likely way for a virus to get into your particular system, Mailwasher Pro might be able to save you some money, speed up your system loading and open up a few system resources!!!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for reminding me, Silviron. I just registered the software and sent Nick a "tip". Someone I know got the Mailwasher Pro notification but I did not, apparantly because I had not yet registered. Also, thank you and others for recommending it.