Any upgrades for the UK SL6?

fishwatcher

Newly Enlightened
I have a 5 year old Underwater Kinetics SL6 (incandescent), and was wondering if there are any easy upgrades for this light. LED would be great. It's basically my standby dive light that's been gathering dust, or used for garbage take-out duty.

Thanks!

Valolammas

Enlightened
Not that I know of, but what's the diameter of the bulb assembly? Maybe you could fit one of those P60 style bulb assemblies in there (lots of LED options there). I know the UK 4AA reflector is ca. 24mm and the P60 styles are 26mm, I believe, so no dice there. However, from eyeballing one, I'd say the SL6 head has a larger diameter. I don't have one, though, so I don't know for sure.

fishwatcher

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Valolammas.

I'll measure the lamp assembly, and check it out.

If it fit, would the 6 C cells in the SL6, be okay for the sort of LED upgrade you recommend? I guess I'll have to research P60 LED upgrade options.

Valolammas

Enlightened
I don't actually have any P60 style lamps, but I believe many of the LED ones work with 3.6-9 Volts, so it should be perfectly safe to run it with 6 C cells. You can start your research here. That thread is stickied in the LED flashlights forum.

If they fit, I think the biggest problem will be, that most of these lamp assemblies use springs for both negative and positive contacts. It may take some fiddling to get it to work in UK lights. Especially the negative contact.

Valolammas

Enlightened
Forgot to mention that since the UK has a plastic head, you might want to consider only drop-ins that have a temperature protection circuit so they don't overheat. I believe the SureFire P60L is one such drop-in, since it's designed to be used in the G2, which is also a plastic light. But there are probably others as well.

Good luck with your modding! Let us know how it works out.