Looking for a thrower with a forward button

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
What do you guys think is the best light that satisfies the following conditions:
-Uses common batteries (D, C, or AA)
-Long battery life
-Good throw, as bright as possible
-regulated output (ideally)
-has a button like a maglite
-cost: preferably less than $100

A few months ago I got my dad a streamlight propolymer 3c luxeon and he loves it except for the button--he is used to maglites. I think the maglite led might be best, but I wanted to hear some other suggestions.

Thanks!

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Maglite with a dropin of some kind I would think. Forward monted clickies are kind of unusual in the current "everything has to be tactical" atmosphere.

You might also want to look at the Wolf Eyes Guider. It's a bit more than your target, but it's a really nice LED light with good throw. It's smaller than a 2D mag by quite a bit, and it's rechargable. You can get them in single, two or multiple stage form. I recommend two stage, low and hi.

Guiders can be had from Pacific Tactical. Set up an account with him and get the discount.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Photon Proton? Fits all your requirements as well as being MUCH smaller than the light he had before and therefore easier to carry.

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate it :thumbsup:

I had bought a dropin LED (terralux for 6d) for my maglite and it was good but not exceptionally bright or impressive. I will be checking out the Malkoffs.

My dad does not like small lights, and it is easier for him to buy new batteries rather than charge--he likes to keep things simple. He does not edc a light and rarely uses a light anyway. I want to find him a "be-all-end-all" light.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Get a Malkoff Mag drop-in and put it on a 3D or 4D mag. Or a 2D mag with 3C batteries, etc. The cost of the Mag host and the drop in should be right around $100 or less.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com

Link to drop in:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15

They are sold out at the moment, but Gene Malkoff has decided to leave his regular job and take on making drop-ins full time. So expect to see them in stock soon.

+1

I have one in my 2D mag with 3Cs and its my favorite.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try this..I've bought over a dozen for presents: Ledbeam...free shipping...comes from Hawaii. $22.00 ,3 c cells. 3w luxeon led. Very bright light...25 hour run time. You can easily replace the led with a Seoul. almost %50 brighter...very easy mod too.
http://www.ledbeam.com/

Last edited: