Question about making the N30 weaterproof?

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
My instructions in the post you referred to will not hurt the functionality at all if done properly.
I did not take the time to post photos and instructions due to extenuating circumstances this last summer.

What I brought to the get together was a very simple and very fast 5 minute weatherproof as needed process.
I simply put the N30 into a 1 gallon food storage bag and used 3M clear weatherproof (Gorilla tape would work well too.) duct tape to tape the opening around the bezel retaining ring.
then I cut a hole in the clear plastic that was in front of the LED section and taped sealed it.
As 65535 mentioned, this does not effect the funtionality at all and is quick,
cheap, and can be removed as soon as it is not needed.

I was going to take it off but we have rain coming this week so I will leave it for now.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Superhenrik

Newly Enlightened
Now I have orded the N30 and hope it will be deliverd in a few days :grin2:

mtbkndad I have done a little research here in Sweden and tried to find "silicone fusion tape" that bonds permanently to itself, too make the light weatherproof ones it is delivered. I cant find the the tape so it would be helpful if you can post a picture of the tape or maby explain a little more about it so I might find it a little eisier. Are you able too take a picture of the weaterproofed N30, both in a gallon food storage bag and with the silicone proofning, that would be stunning =)

I also have a question about making a diffuser to the N30. Is it okey to use plastic that you for example use when too protect floors and furnitures while painting. Or do I need something special that stands the UV and the heat? I must ask because I dont want to hurt my little baby when the comes hihih :grin2:

Thanks for the help // Henke

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Superhenrik,

I have had a good amount of email correspondence recently with the manufacturer regarding water resistance.
I will work on getting some photos for you soon.
The N30's actually use weather proof auto connectors inside and the ballasts are sealed in heat exchange glue so the internals of the light itself are quite water resistant. The Battery Charging port is the main point that needs to be covered in bad weather.

The manufacturer has actually tested L35 prototypes in a JIS water jet spray apparatus back when we were actively working on the L35. They drilled a couple holes in the feet so that any water that gets into the light can drain and had no trouble operating the light in the water jets.

I will still say the N30's are not officially weather resistant because of the battery charging port and lack of drain holes, even though BVH left his overnight in the rain and I have used mine in the rain without any real problems.

My original posting of instructions was delayed due to a foot injury.
I will try to get to them in the next month as some of the chronic hand problems (I have numerous and complicated :hairpull: problems with my left hand and I am a lefty.)that resulted in the foot injury are going to require surgery in either February or early March and my typing will be limitted for a while after that.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave: