If you could choose only one...

pheonix

Newly Enlightened
If you could have only one flashlight to serve all purposes (EDC, blackouts, camping, emergencies)(LED incandescent or whatever)What would you choose. Choice must be in your budget and easily available to the average person. I am new to this and do not have a specific answer yet, but I will think about it and get back with you. Possibly my E2e-HA with the addition of the KL1.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
One and only one for all those purposes...I would have to go with one of the <font color="blue">"EternaLights"</font> due to their extended runtimes (that I don't think can be matched by anyone)! I'd also load it (if you didn't get one of the models that come "preloaded") with lithiums for the 10 year shelf life as well as cold weather operation. Alot of folks aren't used to the "pager" style design, but one gets used to it.

There are certainly many different choices that specifically fit the individual situations you have mentioned above, but you asked for one that does all...(and I've seen them on eBay for $25 including free shipping - Randy at Darkgear.com is great to deal with also!

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Primary all-purpose EDC: Surefire A2
Primary Backup: Arc LSH-P
Secondary EDC: Surefire E2e + E1e/KL1
Secondary Backup: Surefire L1
Tertiary EDC: EternaLight EliteMAX
Tertiary Backup: E2e + LSH-P

I have not received my A2's yet so I still have to confirm my choice for primary all-purpose EDC. The EliteMAX is also just around the corner but sounds good because of its flashing beacon setting.

Cheers.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd probably go with the A2 also, even though I haven't owned one yet. Alternatively, one of the other dual function LED/incandescent lights like Streamlight or Nuwai.

battman

Newly Enlightened
Only 1? That's like telling a parent to pick only 1 of their kids (i think...i dont have kids myself)

I choose my E2e/KL1. It has a good balance of size, output, run-time, and is a cool toy to show-off.

Darkaway

Enlightened
Princeton Tec 20. Here's why:

1)It can use Lithium, NiCad, NiMH, or Carbon Zinc batteries.

2)It adapts to a huge variety of cheap readily avilablle PR based bulbs.

3)Waterproof, not just water resistant.

4)Lightweight.

5)Inexpensive. $9.00 or so on sale, batteries and lanyard included.

6)It can be converted to LED with the Matrix Module.

7)It can be quickly swithced to a Luxeon light (several colors) with 2 different types of PR based Luxeon bulbs available.

8)It can be adapted for use as a bike helmet light with a little velcro.

9)Smooth and textured reflectors are available.

And here's some subjective observations about this light: It feels well balanced and carries well in the hand, PT customer service is outstanding, and the available case colors are pleasing to the eye.

All of the above also applies to the PT 40, except it is a little more expensive and cannot use Matrix Module (unless you want to run dummy batteries) which is designed for 2 cells.

Granted the PT 20 may be a tad too big for EDC but when you only have one light everything is a compromise.

I challenge anyone to find a more versatile light.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's one and only one, then definately an Eternalight... 1200+hours on Lithium AAs, multiple brightness levels, and dirt cheap batteries...

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
My E2e with the "KL4" I just made (Provided I'm allowed to carry spare batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .)

Larry

Brody

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm.... the A2 sounds like a very nice light, but of the lights I own, if I had to pick just one for a camping trip it would be my eveready arc white flashlight with the fluorescent and krypton bulbs. The krypton bulb provides throw if I need it, and the fluorescent mode provides a nice flood beam for emergencies or camping.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would take along an opalec with 8 123s in a Energizer 6AA body.... should last pretty long and can leave it on all night....

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Prior to discovering this forum:

The Princeton Tec 40.

After discovering this forum:

The ExternaLight Xray Elite.

Tom

P.S. If I was allowed only one "less than lethal" weapon, it would be the TigerLight...

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the lights I currently own it would be without a doubt my mini-mag w/ BB500 and borofloat lens. AA's are cheap and spares are easy to carry...

Otherwise I would probably pick an E2e Outdoors because of the availability of the KL1 head, the higher output 60 lumen LA and eventually the KL4.

Jon