Novatac 120 P/T vs. Fenix P2D Q5

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, am trying to choose a torch to replace my 15 year old mini mag AA, am thinking of going LED (the way of the future?).
It needs to be small enough to be a EDC in suit and in civies, strong enough to be able to be used when camping, caving, in the bush, wetable to survive in NZ, going kayaking, at beach, and occasionally if the SHTF able to be smaked into someones head, needs to be able to be brought into play quickly, and used for checking the map in the car, finding a flat piece of gound to pitch the tent, able to blind someone who gets a bit lippy before the kick to the soft and squashies, making sure that that sound was a possum and not a boar at 150 metres, able to find the keys that I dropped under the sofa. So a general, powerful, good torch.

Now the Novatac is 3 x the price and 2/3 the power of a P2D Q5, of course it has a heck of a lot more potential modes and some rather nice goodies, seems able to take different types of batts (123's), whereas the P2D Q5 comes with holster and spare bits, but is more limited in choices.

So advice is requested from users/owners of either or both (please do not say get both!); also if someone can tellme the diff between the P and the T, is ot only the switch or is there more?

Cheers!

chibato

Newly Enlightened
Can't speak to the Novatac, but the P2D is an excellent light. I am sure it would meet all of your listed needs (with the exception of smacking someone in the head...even though it is very durable it may be just a bit too short for that.:grin2:) A lot of folks would suggest the P3D which is basically the same light, just 2x123 instead of 1x123. It also relatively small and works very nicely as an EDC(every day carry) light. I prefer the P2D only because if the batteries run dead, it is always easier, for me, to find a single new cell laying around instead of having to find 2. You can't go wrong with a Fenix.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's one of the more colorful descriptions of what someone needs a flashlight for!

I have the 120T and P2D CE. They are the same brightness. My 120T is sometimes a little funny after changing batteries, possibly because I'm using fairly depleted CR 123 batteries. Once it gets a battery it likes though, it is fine.

My second P2D CE (first one sent back) has given me worse problems, that seem related to the switch. I wouldn't take it outside my house, from a reliability standpoint. I carry my Novatac as a backup law enforcement flashlight--with no problems. Like the HDS before it, it goes under water without a problem.

The Novatac would be my recommendation, if the cost is not prohibitive. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy any Fenix lights. Just my experience.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy iTorch, and welcome to CPF,
First, here is a page that explains the differences between the various models of the NovaTac lights:
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=30

As to whether the Fenix P2D or the NovaTac 120 will fill your needs better, only you can decide that. BTW, you can still find the NovaTac EDC 85 for $99 at most dealers.....a heck of a good deal, and puts it a bit closer to the Fenix in price. It's not programmable, and it's top output is 85 lumens..... but as most folks will attest, 85 lumens is plenty for most tasks you are likely to encounter for an EDC type light......and what you get is a super-rugged little light that takes both primary and rechargeable cells, along with a lifetime warranty.

Here are some flashlight review sites that you might find helpful:
http://www.lightreviews.info/
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/buyers_guide.htm
http://www.cpfreviews.com/
http://flashlightnews.org/
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/

BTW, I like the Fenix lights a lot too, I have the L2D-CE and have found it to be an excellent value. Bright, rugged, and easy to use.... but for an EDC I like my NovaTac because it is SO rugged, the beam is gorgeous, and it uses common rechargeable batteries, which means I know the battery is fully charged when I go out.

Happy hunting.

patycake57

Newly Enlightened
I have both the 85P and the P2D Q2. Both are very nice lights. For most things except pure brightness, I find the Novatac to be more useful because I can get to a very low mode easily (i.e. in a car as a map reader), and the other levels are well thought out. I'm sure the Novatac is tougher as well. However, I don't EDC the Novatac because it is too big, whereas the Fenix in its little holster is not too obtrusive for my office. For me, I don't want to look like I've got a tool belt. Basically, I'm looking to EDC a Novatac the size of the P2D (or LF3), OR a P2D with 0.3, 10, 42, Turbo, and strobe.

If the size and cost doesn't bother you, I'd go with the novatac (2nd the notion of 85P- I don't think I could justify the $ for a 120P, and don't think I'm missing that much with just the 85).

robo21

Enlightened
In my experience the 120P has a nicer beam than the P2D Q5. The P2D may be rated by Fenix at higher output than the 120P but in terms of actual output I found the 120P had a slight edge and, IMO, a better tint.

Combine that with the famous beam quality, inherent ruggedness, and the programmability, the 120P is the winner IMO, hands down.

If price is a consideration and you can live without the programmability then the P2D Q5 will do the trick. Personally, I like the ability to eliminate the SOS and strobe from being mandatory.

dano101

Enlightened
id go with the Novatac 120. If you hold on to your lights and use them for 15 years, i believe that the Novatac would provide you with a long life of service... its really one of those lights youd feel quite happy with banging around. and having used them both, i believe that the novatac is a little more true to its actual output lumens than the fenix.

Dont get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with the fenix... i just think that if you look back on threads through this forum, you notice alot of banged and bruised but working Novatac lights...

cal..45

Enlightened
@ itorch,

I can't speak for the novatac, simply because I don't have one, nor do I ever have seen or handled one in the flesh.

however, I got a fenix P2D Q5 and a P2D rebel 100. I would recommend the rebel (if you still can get one) , because it has better colour rendition and the beam is much smoother (not ringy).

the fenix will do the trick for about everything you ask for with exception of the "150meters throw". the maximum realistic distance for this flaslight is about in the 50-60 meters range, after that forget it. certainly its beam will 150meters throw but unless you shine on a white wall - or similar reflective area - with no achievement.

but one thing I can assure you: upgrading from a 15years old AA maglite to a P2D is like upgrading from an airpistol to a 9mm semi auto at least :)

regards, holger

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a p2d or a novatac, , but i figure i'll put my 2 cents in anyway. :p

I don't think you'll have any problems with the p2d. I edc a fenix p3d and have been very pleased with it. The novatac is probably more durable than the fenix though. but neither of those lights will light something up at 150yds.

Other lights you might want to consider:
the surefire L1 has gotten seems to have developed quite a following.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/932/sesent/00

Also, I don't know about others, but i think this is a cool light.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2243667

both of those lights are compared here.https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177733

You might even want to consider an HDS twisty (which would be pretty similar to the novatac i believe).
http://www.hdslights.com/Twisty.html

regardless of what you choose it'll be quite a step up from an old mini-mag, so i can't imagine you'd be disappointed.

*Sigh* so many lights that i don't have......:sigh:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're both nice lights. I think the P2D is easily the EDC size you're looking for. The Novatac is a bit fatter. Depends on your clothes, I guess.

The Novatac has a unique autotransmission design on the run time. It'll only run for about 30 minutes on High and then shifts down to a lower level to lengthen overall run time and there's nothing you can do about it. That may concern you or not. I like the Novatac quite a bit but I wish they'd make the autotransmission a programmable option. The outdoor beamshots I've seen of the Novatac are very impressive. It holds it's own with the competition.

One nice thing about the P2D Q5 is it's compatible with the 1xAA and 2xAA battery tubes (with appropriate tailswitch) so you have a lot of options as to how you want to configure your light.

Whichever you buy, you can sell the light on the buy/sell/trade forum if you decide it's not for you. If you can get a Novatac cheap, it may even appreciate in value.

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened
Ok, i actually have both, a 120P and a P2D (CE, not Q5 though) so here goes....

P2D lived in my pocket for a long time, and saw a TON of use. After 6 months or so it failed on me 3 times. All it needed was contacts cleaned, but it made NO light at all. The modes are good, but there's no ultra-low. The beam is very nice, and the throw is good. Hardly ever used turbo b/c you had to twist to get it. And the anodozing is definately a lot worse for the wear. Lots of worn spots.

Just got the 120P a month or so ago, but first impressions.... Beam is absolutley amazing, best of any light I own. The ultra low seems very bright, but in use it's not too much, and if it'll run like that for 40 days, im IN! It is definately quite bigger than the P2D. P2D is about a roll of certs, very easy to lose in your pocket. The 120 i prefer clipped to the top of my pocket. To everyone who hates the 120 clip, you've obviously never used it, just seen it. Yea, it's kinda ugly, but very, very useful. The only problems i've had with the 120 was the tailcap guts getting loose, 1 tighten and no problems since.

Ok, between the both of them, the P2D battery can easily last 2-3 months if you use mainly low-medium on a daily basis. But when it dies, it's done, quickly and abruptly. The 120 P battery is still going strong after about 5 weeks use, no dimming yet, and i know it won't just cut out.

In summary, they're both fantastic lights, but the 120P is a lot more rugged and so far more reliable so it's my choice, especially for a 15 year lifespan.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Novatac is 3 x the price and 2/3 the power of a P2D Q5, of course it has a heck of a lot more potential modes and some rather nice goodies, seems able to take different types of batts (123's),...
I don't have either, but have an HDS U60 (modified with SSC emitter for about 120 lumens), and had a P1D CE. Both are roughly similar to the lights you mentioned.

Both are good lights, but if you can afford it, I'd recommend the 120P. Much more is involved than output.

The Novatac has a knurled finish that makes gripping it easy. It has many different output levels, including very dim (often needed for camping or other night activities). The interface is very simple and easy to use.

If you envision much use, having rechargeable capability is important. An otherwise great flashlight can become very expensive if it only accepts non-rechargeable batteries. The Novatac is designed for both types: it works perfectly on either primary or rechargeable cells.

Whether comparing these lights or others, always remember your eye is logarithmically sensitive. That means a light with 30% more output will not appear 30% visually brighter, only slightly brighter.

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help and the explanations - I think I will go for the 120P and a recharger-having this will let me have aplay without costing me an arm and a leg as someone else pointed out, and if things go haywire I can factory reset it.
Does any one know if for instance you set it then drain the batts, take them out to charge and don't put them back for a day or two-does that wipe your settings, it seems easy to reprogram, just curious.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Does any one know if for instance you set it then drain the batts, take them out to charge and don't put them back for a day or two-does that wipe your settings, it seems easy to reprogram, just curious.
My HDS U60 retains the settings. However I'd suggest getting two batteries, that way you can be charging one while using one. When the in-use battery is depleted, you just swap them, takes a few seconds.