Scratching a SF Titan

hcd615

Enlightened
I use to own a Breitling titanium watch. It would scratch so easily. Does the Titan's outside finish scratch real easy also?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed some small scratches from carrying it on my keyring. The finish is not smooth, it is satin-like so it helps to stop the scratching. Also, it is not polished so that also helps it to not look scratched as easy as a polished or nearly polished light like the Ti PD-S.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
Titanium gets scratched really easily by stainless steel. I know by experience :mecry:. One of my favorite titanium watches, a Fossil, by the way (worth every single dollar x 10 - as I've never had a single scratch on the crystal), got scratched to H-E-double hockey sticks when I started my new job, working in a bio-safety hood (stainless steel surface).

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Not all titanium is the same - raw titanium is actually not very strong and scratches as easily as some softer metals. It's when you start adding copper to make titanium alloy that you get the stuff aircraft are made of.

And of course titanium alloy is harder to come by and about twice as expensive as plain titanium, so if whatever you're buying is cheap and says "titanium" (no details on what kind), it'll probably scratch.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium straight from the lathe has a nice sheen and when finished with a rub from a 'scothbrite' pad holds up very well.

Now the 'fashion' with manufacturers is to bead blast the surface and now with this finish, all marks become instantly visible. Most Ti finishes can be improved 100% by not bead blasting. Luckily this 'finish' can be rubbed out easily.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Titanium straight from the lathe has a nice sheen and when finished with a rub from a 'scothbrite' pad holds up very well.

Now the 'fashion' with manufacturers is to bead blast the surface and now with this finish, all marks become instantly visible. Most Ti finishes can be improved 100% by not bead blasting. Luckily this 'finish' can be rubbed out easily.

Big +1 to that!

Brushed, sanded, or scotch-brited titanium is much nicer looking and easy to keep nice looking. Bead blasted ti really, really, stinks if you like things to stay looking new and unmarked.

luminata

Enlightened
Interesting. I had always thought based on the sales pitch of this metal that Titanium can kick Stainless steels butt. But now after reading a cpl articles I am seeing this is not necessarily the case?

I recently read where Masterlock uses the word Titanium in the naming of some of their locks but in truth they are stainless steel and stainless is actually HARDER to cut than Ti. They claim there is a little Ti somewhere in the locks (yeah right).

I always was told Ti is a PITA to machine and this adds to the huge cost to the consumer but am now learning it is not necessarily because it is "tuff stuff" and also Titanium is actually one of the most abundant metals in the Earth?

I still luv the stuff :twothumbs

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I think it is tougher but not more scratch resistant. Scratches however do not disturb me, a light deforming under stress (a fall) does.
And ... ti is corrosion resistant. Which stainless is not. And it is lighter than stainless.

But unfortunately, the perfect metal seems not to be found yet. Thinking of heat and ti ... :sick2:

bernie

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
I saw an article in popular science a few weeks ago that says there is a destructive test (now folks seriously... do not try this at home with a titan, try it with a master lock), in which you put the metal at question against a grinding wheel. If few small sparks are emitted, than it is not titanium (pure or alloy), if it is however titanium or titanium alloy, it will emit a shower of sparks.

BBL

Enlightened
Didnt you know, titanium is actually an alloy, containing large amounts of marketing bullshit...

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Hmmm scratch on Brushed TI Watch or Flashlight ?

Personaly I used to use the Bergeon scratch removal pens.. and I got nice results...

noscratchBC5.jpg

Just my 2 cents :)