Who's using the Dereelight Q5 1.2A P60 drop in?

harddrive

Enlightened
I have on order a Dereelight Q5 P60 drop in. I went for the 1 stage module driven at 1.2A. It will be run with a 17670 unitil I get my hands on a LEEF 18650 body.

Ordered in the CPFMP thread: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170818

My understanding is the Q5 driven at 1.2A should be pretty impressive.

Is anyone using one of these drop ins yet?

What are your thoughts?

Beam shots?

I've tried seacrhing for any reviews or other info but didn't do any good.

I could just wait for mine to arrive but I'm too impatient :grin2:

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
I have several. They're unbelievable. I honestly have nothing to compare them with on the LED front. Visibly, they seem to be nearly twice as bright as my L4 (100) with plenty of throw, plus good sidespill. You'll be happy.

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

harddrive

Enlightened
Thanks Nick. I hate waiting for stuff to arrive in the mail (I'm sure I'm not alone there!)

P.S. That web site of yours is a classic!

Kraid

Enlightened
Any beamshots? Is the smooth one a good thrower? Is there a better thrower in this class? (P60/D26) Is the smo $op option one combo reflector or two interchangeable reflectors? Thanks!

IcantC

Enlightened
I have the 1SM-2 with smooth and OP reflector in my SF Z2. Yes you can swap out the reflectors easily. The smooth one is a good thrower, throws better than the OP. I keep the smooth reflector in mine. I use Cr123 primaries and it is very bright.

IcantC

Enlightened
Just to add in an area with ambient lighting, the Deree light module with smo reflector in my Z2 throws as far as 3dMag with Malkoff Drop in using smo reflector. The Malkoff has more spill though.

roymail

Enlightened
You may already know this but the 1S won't run on 2 x CR123 primaries (6v). It's specifically designed to run on a 3.7-4.2v cell according to the Dereelight website.

However, the 1SM is 3-6v which should run both.

From what I've read you should be very pleased with the performance of the 1S driven by 1 x 17670. I'd like to try that combo. Let us know what you think when you get it.

cal..45

Enlightened
I have on order a Q5 1S pill as well as a Q5 3SD pill with smooth reflector (right now I run the light with a R2 1SM pill and op reflector). I read in another thread that the 3SD is the brightest, though I'm not sure why it should be brighter than the 1S :thinking:...

however I also like the idea of having a one stage pill only, simply on/off thats it. hope the pills will arrive this week, I really looking foward to finally see the best led thrower available right now with my own eyes...

regards, holger

Kraid

Enlightened
Man, I just started reading about the R2 version. I'm going to see if I can figure out where to get it. Can't find it on their website.

MartinSE

Newly Enlightened
The 1S should be noticeably brighter as there is no additional circuitry to add additional resistance.

Are you sure about this? That the 1S is noticeably brighter than the other digital pills? Some time, probably not before brighter emitters are available, I'll be upgrading to a newer pill and I'm thinking a 1S and if it is brighter that would make my choice.

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened
Guys, I have had three Dereelight Dropins, including 2 Q5's (both are 3-stage, 1.2 amp models)

They are fabulous. You will not be upset. They are brighter than BOG drop-ins as well as some custom ones I've had built. Well worth the $30-40.

Finally, Allan is great to work with and takes pride in what he does.

Jay T

Enlightened
The 1S should be noticeably brighter as there is no additional circuitry to add additional resistance.

These things are both regulated to 1.2A drive to the emitter. They are not direct drive hotwires where reducing resistance has a great affect on output. 1200ma drive is = to 1200ma drive.

roymail

Enlightened
JayT, since I'm a bit tech challenged, let me ask you a question. Will the 1SM be less bright since it's output is rated at 1A instead of 1.2A?

I like having the option to use 2 x CR123 primaries as well as a 17670. Thanks!

Jay T

Enlightened
JayT, since I'm a bit tech challenged, let me ask you a question. Will the 1SM be less bright since it's output is rated at 1A instead of 1.2A?

I like having the option to use 2 x CR123 primaries as well as a 17670. Thanks!

At Dereelight's spec of 1A the 1SM should be slightly less bright than the 1S,3SD or the D1 which run the emitter at 1.2. Though the difference would be so slight that you would might need to hold both at the same time to see the difference.

harddrive

Enlightened
From what I've read you should be very pleased with the performance of the 1S driven by 1 x 17670. I'd like to try that combo. Let us know what you think when you get it.

The drop in arrived not long after I started this thread and I have been using it for a couple of months. It is the brightest drop in I own (I've got a couple of the early WE cree ones, some cheap DX ones and a Q4 one from supertactical). On a 17670 I got about 70 minutes runtime. I am now using it in a Leef 18650 body with Surefire bezel and tailcap and an AW 18650. Runtime is over 90 minutes.

The Leefbody +surefire head and tail +AW battery + Dereelight dropin make for an awesome light. I am an LEO and use this set up in a Blackhawk mod-u-lock holster on my equipment belt and find it to be the perfect duty set up for me. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

roymail

Enlightened
harddrive, how many lumens would you guess as compared to the others you own?

And, does it run in regulation (same brightness) for the entire time?

Thanks! Glad to hear it does so well. :D

harddrive

Enlightened
harddrive, how many lumens would you guess as compared to the others you own?

And, does it run in regulation (same brightness) for the entire time?

Would be hard to say. I don't use a light metre or anything. I think the WE ones were said to be 170 lumens and the Q4 Supertactical was said to be 200. It is brighter than both of those.

To my eyes it seems to run in regulation, but as I said I don't have a light meter to confirm this.

I really like this and as far as I know it is the only really high powered dropin designed for 17670/18650. The Malkoff and BOG get great reports but are not designed for 18650.

I use the OP reflector and against a wall it is not perfect. But in the real world the beam is great for what I use it for.

For the price you can't go wrong. I'd like to try a Malkoff but they are going for $80 USD on CPFMP. The Dereelight driven at 1.2A for $32 delivered is great value.