LED Drop-in & SF Weaponlight Problem

Kato

Enlightened
I recently purchased several BugOutGear Q5 drop-in modules. Love them! :twothumbs

One was slated for a Surefire Classic Universal Weaponlight on an AR-15. Unfortunately, because of the shape of the lamp housing, I couldn't get the BOG Q5 to fit properly. I tried using a head from a C2, and I also tried using the contact spring Flavio (BOG) sent me, but nothing worked.

My proposed solution is to install the BOG Q5 in a 6P, and replace the tailcap with an XM pressure switch assembly. I tested this by screwing on an XM assembly onto a BOG Q5 equipped C2. There was a small gap between the C2 body and the XM assembly after the threads bottomed out, but there seemed to be enough threading to hold the parts together and the pressure switch worked fine.

Will I run into any problems because the 6P doesn't have the battery barrier and the recoil-damping sleeve that the Classic Universal Weaponlight has?

Any suggestions to improve this set-up?

BTW, does anyone know if the drop-in will work in a SF M951 weaponlight? The BOG Q5 is supposed to work in an M2, and I think the M951 shares the same head as the M2; but I don't know if the M951 lamp housing will accept the drop-in.

:thanks:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no clue concerning your set up, but I'm going to be running a BOG Q5 in a G2 with 6P bezel on my AR during a patrol carbine class. One of the courses will be a night shoot.

I'm waiting on a Wolf Eyes Q5 drop in for my PILA GL2. I'm going to run that on my Patrol 12gauge. Mike @ PTS said he ran few boxes of slugs the same set up and it didn't fail on him

I don't think the battery battering issue is going to be a big problem in a 5.56.

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
I've had the same issue trying to fit a Malkoff 55 and a Deree module in my P111 light. The part of the light that holds the reflector assembly is conical and prevents the module from seating completely. I'm going to send them to a machine shop to have the reflector turned or hit the with the dremel (hope I don't have to resort to this!). Will let you know. As for M951, it should fit fine. You'll need the additional outer spring, however. I'll also be testing on the Surefire dedicated shotgun forearm. Should have some range time int he next two weeks.

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

Kato

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

I'm leaning towards the 6P/XM combo, but the M951 appeals to me.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered using SureFire's own P60L ?

I have one of the SF P60L modules in my M951 and it works great! I bought a Litemania Cree Drop-in when they first came out. The diameter of that drop-in was to big and the LU60 adaptor had to be bored out to fit in, and I couldn't use the negative spring....removed.
While I don't have the BOG or Malkoff M60 Drop-in, it does seem like the right choice for this application considering the throw it has. There is nothing wrong with the P60L, but considering it will be mounted on a gun, I'd want the extra Brightness and Throw. You may have to bore out the LU60 adaptor however, in order to get it to fit.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been a patrol carbine class this week.
I'm running the G2 with Q5 BOG. So far it's holding up with no issues.

Latest posts