Using Visa gift cards for online purchase questions?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys how does that work? I am thinking of getting my pretty much housebound Dad one for Christmas and he could buy himself something online. I bought one at the mall today for another friend and they claimed it could be used anywhere Visa is used. But when you order online and give the cc number, the site usually asks for a billing address and I thought it had to be tied in to the billing address of the credit card. In the case of the Visa gift card, there wouldn't be any. So is it possible/easy to order stuff online using a Visa gift card?

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those things are very annoying. There are always little rules you have to follow and things you cannot do. Personally, the easiest way I've found to use them up is to pay cable or cell phone bills.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought a couple items online with a Visa gift card, but it was a serious PITA. I stated up front that I was using a gift card and that there wouldn't be any address to confirm to, but still had problems. Several emails later it got sorted out, but it was a serious hassle. Two retailers just plain refused to place an order with a gift card.

I'd give home-made "coupons" good for so many $$ worth of use of your existing credit or debit card. Then he can tell you what he wants and you can order the items, or you can give him the info over the phone, or whatever.

:buddies:

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one, and I still have some change on it because I don't know what happens if you want to make a purchase that costs more than the value left on the card.

K A

Enlightened
I have one, and I still have some change on it because I don't know what happens if you want to make a purchase that costs more than the value left on the card.

It will simply get declined when the system tries to process it. Easiest way to use it up is to either call the 800 number on the back of the card or goto it's website (should hopefully give you both options on the back of the card). Get the amount that remains on the card. With that total in hand go buy something and tell them it's a gift card and it just has that amount left on it. They should hopefully be able to run just that amount through on the card and let you pay cash or whatever for the remaining balance.

Empath

Flashaholic
Key Bank has a prepaid Mastercard they call "Key Possibilities". You can buy it at their banks for whatever denomination from $25 to $2500 you wish. The service fee for purchasing the card is $3.95.

I have bought them at times for online purchases where I'd prefer the vendor didn't have my regular credit card number. I've never had one denied by a vendor yet. When the amount gets down to an unusable amount, I take it to Key Bank and request a cash advance on it of one dollar less than the amount left on it. The charge for a cash advance on it is $1.00. That evens it out.

It is important to maintain an accurate record of it's balance, since there are no statements. The lack of statements is also a disadvantage because you can't monitor what was charged against it, or if the vendor followed through properly. Technically, the vendor could even double charge you, and you wouldn't realize you'd been ripped off until the card lost it's value prematurely. If you used the card for that purpose, you'd want to buy in values you're willing to risk losing.

When using it, it doesn't really matter what name, address or zip code you give. The name on those I get is just "Key Bank Customer". They're designed to give to others, so the address doesn't matter.

It has some disadvantages over regular credit cards, but for it's purpose it serves well.

Since I've never purchased them as gifts, I don't know if they have a "activation when received" feature. Without that, I can't see any more safety in sending it through the mails than sending straight cash.