Arc DS Tiger Stripe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finbar

Newly Enlightened
ArcDSTiger_Stripe.jpg

The stripe running lengthwise is an artifact of the lighting. This is not what I am referring towards.

The stripe located at the end of the clip and runs completely around the circumference of the battery tube.

This batch was ordered the first week of December.

Fin

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
That line in the knurl is a result of the machining. The program changes the tool path as it travels the length of the battery tube. If I recall, this is to account for flexure during the process. The knurl pattern accentuates the small differences of just a few thousandths of an inch. All units should have this pattern. Some are more visible than others.

peter

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
That line in the knurl is a result of the machining. The program changes the tool path as it travels the length of the battery tube. If I recall, this is to account for flexure during the process. The knurl pattern accentuates the small differences of just a few thousandths of an inch. All units should have this pattern. Some are more visible than others.

peter

Translation: that's a feature! :) Now you know where to line up the end of the clip to maintain that "factory spec" location.

Finbar

Newly Enlightened
Bernie: Vielen dank! The labradorite is difficult to photograph. Every millimeter turn changes the colors.

scottaw: Thanks. I was trying to determine the rarity or lack thereof.

jbviau: Correct. I purchased mine at World of Science before they went kaput.

Valpo Hawkeye: It is not a big deal to me either. I was hoping that it was a rare flaw.

Peter: Interesting. Maybe the new process as the Arc CS did not have this marking. I was watching "How's it Made" on the Discovery Channel - building trombones. They freeze water inside the hollow tube parts when they are working them to prevent indentations. I do not see this as something that needs fixing. It could be a useful method of differentiating between the CS and DS models(other than the noticeable brightness improvement). I love the new aggressive knurling. The CS was too thin.

Cyclops942: I agree. It is a feature(see above paragraph).

Now, all I need is the new Arc LS.

Well I'm gonna to go then. And I don't need any of this. I don't need this stuff, and I don't need you. I don't need anything except this[picks up an ashtray].

And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.
[walking outside].

And I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[dog barks].

I don't need my dog.

But I do need the Arc LS.

Fin

paulr

Flashaholic
That stripe looks like a tool slipped during knurling or something like that. None of my other arc AAA's (I think around 6 of them) have had it. I like the familiar uniform pattern so would consider the stripe to be either a dubious design decision or a manufacturing defect.

Status
Not open for further replies.