Question for owners of the SF L1 and G2L (or 6PL)

mx125

Newly Enlightened
I own an L1 and am looking at getting a G2L for no valid reason.

I've read the threads and tried to infer from limited beamshots and chevro's graphs but . . .

Using my L1 as a reference point, how would you compare the output, colour, and beam of the L1 Cree to the P60L (in the G2L/6PL)?

Specifically . . . (before thermal intervention) is the P60L noticably brighter to your eyes in use? . . .and is it true that tint is a bit greenish as compared to the almost white of the L1?

And is the spill any more useful on the P60L?

Thanks.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I own an L1 and am looking at getting a G2L for no valid reason. Sounds good

I've read the threads and tried to infer from limited beamshots and chevro's graphs but . . .

Using my L1 as a reference point, how would you compare the output, colour, and beam of the L1 Cree to the P60L (in the G2L/6PL)?

Specifically . . . (before thermal intervention) is the P60L noticably brighter to your eyes in use? . . .and is it true that tint is a bit greenish as compared to the almost white of the L1?
Not really a big difference in brightness, maybe a little. The tint on my P60L is a tad more to the blue side than green.
And is the spill any more useful on the P60L?
Yes more spill for sure, that is the biggest gain besides runtime with the P60L
Thanks. Welcome
:twothumbsBuy it, it's pretty nice.

NickDrak

Enlightened
The beam profiles of these two lights are different. The L1 has a tighter beam, and the 6PL has slightly more of a flood beam but still has somewhat of a hotspot. All of the P60L lamps that I have seen (I own three), have a violet tint to the beam, with a slight hint of green around the hotspot.

I would say the 6PL on max (P60L module) is brighter then the L1 on max, but not by much. Keep in mind that the P60L module was designed for extended runtime and not max output, and that has been the biggest complaint by those who desire nothing more than the brightest LED available. Some cant understand why it only puts out 80 lumens, but cant accept the fact that the P60L was specifically designed for extended runtime/duty applications, and continue to bash the 6PL/G2L (P60L) for its max output rating.

If you are looking for a much brighter light, I would suggest getting a standard 6P and installing one of the new Malkoff M60 Q5 modules into it. Or you can wait until Surefire produces a high output LED module.

mx125

Newly Enlightened
That's very helpful.

I'll admit I'm not a big fan of the "old school" greenish/bluish tint LED's. I don't have an issue with the output/runtime tradeoff Surefire has chosen on the P60L module . . .but it sounds like it's not a meaningful jump from my L1. I'm in the mood for a purchase . .and like the yellow Nitrolon, but don't think I'm over the edge. Thanks guys!

soffiler

Enlightened
G2L/6PL (P60L) beam is very different from L1. L1 uses a TIR optic, and P60L uses a textured reflector.

I don't own an L1 but I have a buddy who has one and I've seen its beam in the woods (but note, we are NOT whitewall hunters). I own a G2L.

The L1 produces a relatively tight beam with a large-ish hotspot and minimal sidespill. The P60L produces a classic tight hotspot with a very wide spill area (noticably wider spill than several other reflector-based lights I've compared it to). The texture creates a nice smooth transition from hotspot to spill.

I have no quarrel with the tint of my G2L. I am not colorblind, but my eyes don't see the violets and greens that others are reporting. Again, I am not a whitewall hunter. That stuff (if it's really there) disappears in real-world situations.

mx125

Newly Enlightened
Soffiler . . you've given me more reason to consider it. I'm definitely more interested in the real world than the white wall. . .and spill is more important to me. I have ordered a diffuser for my L1, and love the size for carry (smaller than my A2 but not too small to hold . . like a Fenix). . . so while I have you . . . .

- Would a diffuser make sense for the G2L or is it spilly enough?
- And do you notice the drop in output (from 75ish to 60ish) when the thermal prot kicks in . . .or with intermittent use, does it seem to maintain it's max?

afraidofdark

Enlightened
. . .but it sounds like it's not a meaningful jump from my L1. I'm in the mood for a purchase . .and like the yellow Nitrolon, but don't think I'm over the edge. Thanks guys!

hey mx, I'm with you 100% on that yellow Nitrolon. For a barnburner in that particular host you could get one of Gene Malkoff's Q5 P60 dropins ... oops he's sold out again. We'll there's the BOG Q5 dropin, that's in stock, at least for today.

soffiler

Enlightened
Soffiler . . you've given me more reason to consider it. I'm definitely more interested in the real world than the white wall. . .and spill is more important to me. I have ordered a diffuser for my L1, and love the size for carry (smaller than my A2 but not too small to hold . . like a Fenix). . . so while I have you . . . .

- Would a diffuser make sense for the G2L or is it spilly enough?
- And do you notice the drop in output (from 75ish to 60ish) when the thermal prot kicks in . . .or with intermittent use, does it seem to maintain it's max?

Hi mx125:

The G2L has a very wide spill area, wider than a couple other reflector-based lights I had close at hand one foggy night when I compared them. I used a P1D-CE and a Pelican M1 modded w/ Cree. I made no attempt to actually measure the cone-angle of the spill beam, but G2L was obviously wider than either of the others.

If you want floody light, then sure, go ahead and diffuse the G2L. It will soften the reasonably bright, tight hotspot, and spread those lumens out into the spillbeam to some extent.

I have not noticed the drop, not at all. It might be there - according to the chevrofreak measurements, it cuts down fairly gradually and it's only 10-15 lumens or so. In general, your eyes really need to see a drop of about 50% for your brain to say, whoa, that's not as bright anymore. But keep in mind that my G2L has an aluminum bezel. I understand the earlier ones had a plastic bezel. The new aluminum bezels probably delay the onset of thermal limiting if not eliminating it entirely. (I really need to measure output on my Extech datalogging meter one of these days to know for sure.)

I have used the G2L for extended periods. Here's one story: just a couple days after I got it, I had arranged to have cable TV installed at my Dad's house as a Christmas present (86 years old, never had cable his whole life, believe it or not). For reasons beyond me, the installer showed up on schedule at 5pm (it's December, it's dark) and did not seem to have any sort of light with him, despite knowing full-well that this was going to be an extensive job with outdoor work. I used the G2L and literally followed him around, providing light while he worked (and I carried the box of coax, and handed him his drill... he was pretty psyched to have a gopher! But it allowed me to watch his every move and make requests on the placement of things). During this job the G2L ran for about 1.5 hours, not quite nonstop -it was shut off a few times when not needed. (not to say the batteries were depleted at 1.5 hours, that's simply how long the job took) The light output certainly seemed, to my eye and his, to be very consistent and very useful. In fact, he was so impressed he was going to purchase one his next time at Lowe's. I told him what he really needed was a headlamp for hands-free work but I don't think that sank in.

Go ahead... you know you want one...

Seriously, it's my most-used light now, even though I have a P1D-CE in my pocket as EDC. It's not one for the jeans front pocket, but it fits a jacket pocket very nicely. It's got a great feel in the hand, just the right size to know it's there, and the plastic body is warmer to the touch while being durable and fairly grippy. The twisty tailcap is extremely smooth and light; it can be one-handed without too much trouble. The aluminum bezel, if that's the version you end up with, has a hex shape for anti-roll. Just a nice, nice light all the way around, backed up by the SureFire build quality and warranty. I think it's a bargain any way you look at it.

soffiler

Enlightened
hey mx, I'm with you 100% on that yellow Nitrolon. For a barnburner in that particular host you could get one of Gene Malkoff's Q5 P60 dropins ... oops he's sold out again. We'll there's the BOG Q5 dropin, that's in stock, at least for today.

I just saw another thread (sorry, no link, I'm in a rush) comparing the P60L with the BOG Q5. The BOG runs significantly higher current, thus more heat, more light, and shorter runtime. The BOG reflector is very deep, providing a tight, intense hotspot with relatively little spill. Carrying both dropins would give you the best of both worlds!

Numbers

Enlightened
I a have both lights now, L1 arrived about 1 hour ago. I think it is the perfect everyday carry light (but does not fit well into the SF v-82 holster). The G2L however does have a beam more to my liking some spot with good spill. I would love to have thah beam in an e series size light. After dark I will play some more, (then I have to give it back to my wife until Christmas so she can give it to me) but there is no question both are worthwhile owning.

mx125

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again guys . .that's even more helpful insight. And Soffiler, . . . great post. I appreciate all the direct answers. I think you've pushed me over the edge. I saw one at a local dealer and it's just too easy to stop in!

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I have both and for some reason I find myself "playing" with the 6PL more than the L1. I think it is the 'near perfect' beam pattern on the 6PL that impresses me most - to me a great mix of throw and spill, the L1 is a bit more concentrated but I suspect the throw is similar.

I do find the P60L module in either my 6PL or 9P to have more output than the L1 but for the mathematical difference ( 80 v. 65 Lumens ), visually there is not that much of a difference. I suspect the beam pattern on the L1 makes it look brighter, since the P60L puts more light into the spill beam.

When warm weather retuns to the North Country, I will see which does better for trail following. Given how much I like the P60/P90 for that task I suspect the 6PL will be a winner. All that said, my L1 is not up for sale. There are some tasks that a good single level light still makes very good sense for - and the 6PL is a VERY GOOD single level light.

soffiler

Enlightened
waterboiler, speaking of trail following...

Everybody uses flashlights for different purposes, and walking around outdoors (woods, trails, fields, my back yard) in the dark is one of my primary uses.

I find relatively small OP reflectors to have just about the perfect beam for that type of outdoor usage. I just don't care that much about a tight throw beam (just my opinion, of course). With an OP reflector, the typical fuzzy hot spot tends to illuminate further down the trail with roughly the same intensity (brightness) as the sidespill illuminates right down near your feet, and those branches about to whack you in the head. Your pupils adjust accordingly to that intensity and it's all good.

Generally, TIR optics don't have as much sidespill, instead taking those photons and corralling them back into the main beam. And generally, large smooth reflectors have a killer hotspot because they are grabbing most of the photons and bouncing them into the hotspot, at the expense of a dim sidespill. For me personally, a tight hotspot that throws hundreds of feet isn't what I want for walking around outdoors. And a pure floody light isn't right either. A hotspot for down the trail and a nice smooth transition to spill for closer in and you've got the whole scene covered.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
Yes, trail following is one of thoes tasks that demands a lot of a light. All throw with little flood ( Gen 2 L1 and other TIR lights ) do a good job of letting you see what is ahead just before you trip over a root :) Conversly a floody light ( L2 or L4 ) keeps your footing well illuminated but does little to help follow the trail if it is not very well defined.

A few summers ago I took a whole pile of lights into the bush with me. I found that the A2 on low was great in dense woods, my other lights just refected too much glard back at me. In open county ( rail trail ) the L2 was king but then I 'new' where I was going. The best balance was either the A2 on high or the G2. My only complaint was run time on either of thoes - I think the P60L may just have solved the runtime problem, especially on a 9P body, with 2x17500 cells.

flash_bang

Enlightened
I'd say the P60L is more of a thrower when compared to the P60, and more of a flooder when compared to the L1.
Then again, I've never compared the three side by side…Just my assumption, I suppose…

Hope it helps somewhat…
HAGO,
Flash

Numbers

Enlightened
I'd say the P60L is more of a thrower when compared to the P60, and more of a flooder when compared to the L1.
Then again, I've never compared the three side by side…Just my assumption, I suppose…

Hope it helps somewhat…
HAGO,
Flash
I have the G2L and the L1 and your "assumption" about the two is correct. The beam of the G2L is also cleaner than the L1. The L1 beam because of the optic (I think) does not compare favorably to a reflector. However there may be more to it than because my KX2, also an optic, has a nicer and cleaner beam pattern than my L1. I expected them to be about the same and they are not.

mx125

Newly Enlightened
You guys are killing me!!:twothumbs:) Your tales and decriptions of the beam have caused me to consider it a "must have" . . .and I can't wait to get time to make the trip!

Numbers

Enlightened
The beauty of it is that it's a nice light, and relatively speaking it's cheap. IMHO it's a must have for any flashaholic.