Photon ReX runtime test - Medium output.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to see how long the ReX could run at a "reasonable" birghtness setting that I would typically need. While the ReX can put out a large amount of light, I do not think a small coin cell light is meant to be a powerhouse light beacon.

I decided to set the output comaprable to a PricetonTech Apex light that I have. It is a three 5mm LED light using 4 AAA batteries and was considered to have "decent" output back in day (also similar in brightness to my Opalec Newbeam). All on fresh batteries. I would guess the overall output would be about 5 lumens - also similar to an Arc-P with a Nichia CS. This is a very useable amount of light and probably what I will use this light for most of the time.

The ReX ran for a suprisingly 2.5 hours before showing signs that it was running out and loosing any ground to the others. I kept comparing output to the two other lights every 15 minutes (the other lights were off and only turned on during the comparison to avoid them from dimming). I am very pleased with this. Now I know I can get a nice runtime with the ReX with a decent output, a very long runtime at a very low setting, and a suprisingly high output when needed. This is a very versatile tiny light and I like it very much. Great job LRI!

Brlux

Enlightened
I think you are confused about the what an APEX is? It has 4 5mm LEDS and runs on 4AA cells but yes it is a great head light. Nice comparison, that is usefull information I was wondering about?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops, me bad. It is the Attitude with 4AAA's.

What I really like about this light is that is is easily operated with one hand. You can do all the selections with a simple push of the button. The ability to select the exact brightness level quickly is great. This has got to be one of the best UI that I have used. It is really "fun" to use around the house.

Latest posts