• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired * SPF - Modified Maglites

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
Both of these are SPF.

I have, for the past couple years, modified Maglite flashlights. I just finished a couple extras that I'd like to sell.

They start as standard, black, 2-D Maglites. I modify the spring in the tail cap, and insert a sleeve in the body to enable it to hold 3 C-cells. I replace the lamp assembly with a machined aluminum heat sink and a SSC Seoul P4 (U-bin) SW0 3-watt LED. I replace the switch with a 4-way switch and appropriate resistors to give it high, medium, and low settings. And I add a green glow-in-the-dark powder / clear epoxy ring around the LED.

Here is a picture comparing the modified Maglite on high with a standard 2-D Maglite.
Compare_House.jpg

Here is a picture showing the glow-in-the-dark ring around the LED.
Mag_Glow.jpg

The glow-in-the-dark ring will glow brightly enough to be seen all night long.

Here are links to some other pictures.
Compare on high
Compare on medium
Compare on low
Outside standard Mag
Outside modified Mag

I realize these are not a standard product, so I will allow a 3 day inspection period, and would refund the purchase price if you send it back it the same, like-new condition.

I am asking $63 shipped (PayPal) for each of the flashlights ($58 + $5 shipping USPS) to addresses in the lower 48. If you live somewhere else, we can work out shipping costs. I will ship them with three new batteries. Post here that you want one, and them PM me with the details.

Last edited:

Red

Newly Enlightened
Re: Modified Maglites

I'll take one of the modified black 2-D Maglites.
PM to follow immediately.

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
Re: Modified Maglites

I bought the switches here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5660
I used three resistors, a 0.47 Ohm for the high, a 100 Ohm for the low, and then one of the two lights has a 10 Ohm for the medium, and the other has a 22 Ohm for the medium.

I did not take any pics while modifying the switches. Basically,

I removed and completely disassembled the entire switch assembly.

Drilled out the top half of the clicky part of the switch - enough so one of the Deal Extreme switches could fit down in it. (But did not put in the new switch yet.)

Looked like this:

mag_switch.jpg

Reassembled the top and bottom halves of the clicky housing, put it back in the switch housing, and put that back in the Mag body.

I could now get to the set screw (through the switch hole in the Mag body) to tighten it down.

I soldered leads to the switch, fed the leads down through the hole in the switch assembly, and fit the switch down in the hole. I did have to round off the corners of the switch a little bit.

From there it was just a matter of soldering on the resistors and hooking it up like the typical O-sink-type Mag mod.