Proposal - to change Flashaholics to Lightmaniacs

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
Told my wife I was considered a Flashaholic now - and she was a bit taken by surprise - "What do you mean ?" She asked, "You go into parks, and flash things ???"

You see - in OZ we call a flashlight a 'torch', and flashers are the ones who flaunt their -wares- illegally.

I have had this reaction from a few people I have told.

So, I propose that we should be called Lightmaniacs, for we suffer from Lightmania.

As well, the 'aholic' bit really refers to alcohol, which is really not relevant.

If anything it should be "Flashmaniac".

What do you think ?

Abe.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
The suffix ...maniac infers a psychological condition of psychopathic tendencies - which is worst than being called a 'flasher', ie. of reduced social capacity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Proposal denied. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

souyou

Newly Enlightened
FYI: Some(or most) Japanese Flashaholics call themselves Lightmania.
Of course, it is not a common word.

I see you have already become a Flashmaniac. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
And I feel sad to know that there is no proper name for us so far.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
[ QUOTE ]
Abe Furburger said:
So what would you suggest ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Carry a SF M6 or a Tigerlight conspicuously stuffed in your front pocket and walk around with your hips pushed forward. When you catch someone staring at your, ah, hmmm, torch you can tell them your a Flashaholic. If they don't run away pull out your torch and explain what it means. It would help spread the word more quickly which is good because I doubt the name is going to change anytime soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And then again maybe it will or at least has for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My idea was more fun as long as it was you and not me.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hey, if you changed that, i would have to change my avatar can of "flashahol" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i kind of like flashaholic...

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
I dunno.

I think most the folks here are public exhibitionists.

I mean, I'm more than willing to show my flashlight to folks.

I do find men are more interested than women ... and that bothers me.

But hey ... it's just a flashlight!

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't call myself a 'flashaholic'. I just have a few flashlights that I like. They aren't my whole life. I guess I'm just a flashlight fan. . . . .flashlightfanaticmagnificant

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hey, they changed his name, but wouldn't change mine when i asked so nicely to make me: supreme user /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Roth... it seems that whoever changed Abe's name is not willing to take credit for it. I've asked... no one has 'fessed up.

Sorry Abe, but I'm going to have to change it back. If you get to have a "special" title then so should everyone else. And with over 3700 members, I'm certainly not going to play that silly game.

Admins and Mods are the only ones allowed special titles. And if you check it out, you'll see that not many have chosen to take advantage of that.

Sorry guys... flashaholic it is!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
\"CPF Vanity Title\" ??

I'd submit that for a "set" donation to the operation of the Candle Power Forums...sort of like donating for those vanity/charity plates on cars, those who would like to help out should be able to!

By the way, I'm happy with the way things are now...of course that's only 1 opinion, so I imagine there's 3699 (or so) more out there....

I was fortunate enough to receive a "CPF 50 Special" - THANK YOU VERY MUCH! That was icing on the cake! I would have donated anyways as required or needed though! I would think anyone who wants their "title" changed would be glad to help out!

Am I right? <font color="blue">Who wants their title changed</font>? What would be an appropriate amount for a <font color="blue">"CPF Vanity Title"</font>?

Am I an intstigator, a "brain stormer" or a ....?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

Just do away with the whole naming thing completely.

Never going to be able to satisfy even a majority, much less everyone.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re:

i love flashaholic...but it sure couldn't beat supreme ruler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i like the pay for a name change idea, i also think that an option between 3 names to choose from would be good for members with over 1000 or 2000 posts. sasha probably wouldn't go for this, but i think it would be a neat feature /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

there really isn't a way to satisfy everyone, so we should only be concerned with satisfing me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif