LED Solitaire

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the current thinking about putting LEDs into Mag Solitaires? I don't want to use 1/3 AAA cells but I'm quite happy with 12V A23/MN21 batteries. My reflector comes out pretty easily, which I read in one of the really early threads was a challenge.

It looks like three 5mm LEDs will fit pretty easily for width but not for length and the existing twisty switch is the only good way I can see for it to operate. Are 3mm LEDs much shorter? I've never had any. A single would fit with the reflector, or 6 should fit pretty well in there in two series of three with a 12V battery.

Or is it the fashion to stick a boost regulator in with a single high power LED emitter, and stay with an AAA cell?

And of course the last option (unless I've missed something) - it could be too much bother to modify it. I never liked twisties anyway.

FRANKVZ

Enlightened
I have built a couple led solitaires. Do yourself a favor and spring for an Arc aaa or similar light.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy, that was quick. Thanks Frank, I thought that might be the case. I've got plenty of other projects to go on with, too.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
If you get your hands on KaiDomain's $15 SSC U bin buckle light, you will forget Solutaire completely.

- Vikas

rhuck60

Newly Enlightened
Id like to see that buckle light. Can someone post a link to it?

gunga

Flashaholic
Almost all the AAA lights are very slim, just a tiny bit thicker than a solitaire.

I have a modded solitaire, but only because I got a good bulk discount on the modules. If I had to pay the full $13 or so I would skip it and get one of the many better lights from Fenix, Arc, Lumapower, Liteflux, etc.

Modding the solitaire is mostly for nostalgia or if you REALLY like the feel. I wish the drop in was cheaper. I have a friend who picked up a solitaire (it was cheap n nice for him). The thing is so dim, drives me nuts. I want to show him the light!

Maybe I'll just pick up a Fenix for him...

:D

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost all the AAA lights are very slim, just a tiny bit thicker than a solitaire.
Most I've seen the specs for are 20mm-ish, compared to the Solitaire's 13mm. I'm obviously looking in the wrong places.

That buckle light isn't too bad.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I think the modding of Solitaires came to a stop when this came out.

I got mine from Lighthound, and couldn't be happier with it!

An awesome upgrade that's easy as pie to install, and turns the Solitaire from a toy into a nice EDC key-chain light. I give it.... :twothumbs

gunga

Flashaholic
Most I've seen the specs for are 20mm-ish, compared to the Solitaire's 13mm. I'm obviously looking in the wrong places.

That buckle light isn't too bad.

I think you are thinking AA lights.

AAA lights are around 11-12 mm. Go look at a soliteire next to a Fenix L0D CE.

The Fenix is smaller.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are thinking AA lights.

AAA lights are around 11-12 mm.
That would make for a pretty tight fit for an AAA cell. The ones I've seen the measurements for are certainly bigger. I think they're working with too-big reflectors, or maybe too-big control boards. Or maybe the designers just don't get the point, that they're supposed to be small.

Go look at a soliteire next to a Fenix L0D CE.
Sure. Where would you like me to go to look.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I was more thinking that there isn't a physical shop in this country that sells the things. We're really antipodean, you know.