Life Insurance for my dad

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know a good affordable life insurance company for my 60 yrs old/smoker/grumpy dad?

I know it's not going to be cheap each month because of the age and smoking... but it's better than spitting out $10,000 (when the time comes) for an average funderal. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I live in California if that makes any different on quotes/policies.

-E

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best place to start would probably be where you currently have an insurance relationship -- homeowners, auto, etc.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with a term policy, and not whole life or other flavors that have an "investment" or cash value associated with them. A term policy is just plain insurance, and are the least expensive. The others are rip offs, as the effective rate of return is low, and the insurance company keeps your "cash value" when the insured dies. Many agents will push the whole life or cash value policies because they make a bigger commission on them. Your increased costs pay for that commission.

An "independent" agent not associated with a single insurance provider may be your best bet, as they can research bunches of insurers for the best rate.

JMO. :wave: