Surefire P60L vs. Malkoff M60L Low Output?

const451

Newly Enlightened
Can someone comment on Surefire P60L vs. Malkoff M60L Low Output drop-in? It looks like they both have a good run time, but what about the brightness and beam quality? How much spill does M60L Low Output have comparing to P60L, or comparing to G2? I read the specs, of course, but what is the real life impression of P60L 80 lumens vs. M60L Low Output 140 lumens?

I am getting 6PD but I want it with LED. I need at least 3 hours of run time and good spill. I read about other third-party drop-ins but it sounds like Malkoff is the favorite. Now I am trying to decide between these two drop-ins. I only wished 6PD was in HA.

TIA

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Yeah, what they ( ^^^^ ) said!

Anyone else have any comments on Gene's M60L (Low Output model)?

It seems like it would be the perfect blend of output and runtime. And the perfect drop-in for the Nitrolon G2... :)

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Gene's M60L but don't have the SF LED to compare it with. Gene's M60 and M60L are the same optic/led/etc just the current is 500mA instead of 1A.

It puts out a lot of light and has a nice gradient beam. I really like the longer runtime - you get more than half the light and three times the runtime...

It is an optic, rather than a reflector. There is some fine structure to the beam pattern, but the gradient pattern is very nice. No rings, doughnuts or edges.

I ran the M60L for 20 minutes last night in the round body 6P at Gene's suggestion to check the heat transfer. I used a pair of 3.7V rechargeables. The outside of the light was not detectably warm. Quickly removing the drop-in, I could feel a very slight rise in temperature in the brass body. Barely detectable.

The decision process for selecting between the M60 and the M60L was hard. The L was more available. My first thought was to wait as long as it took, and with Gene going full-time that was likely to be easier. I had just missed a batch. So the choice was between 235 lumens for 1.5 hours, or 140 lumens for 4.5 hours. The more I thought about how to make my old 6P useful, and how many other flashlights I already have that are in the neighborhood of 235 lumens, I wondered if that brightness was necessary and worth the shorter runtime. It is less than a one stop improvement (doubling) for a three times decrease in the runtime. It is a noticeable brightness difference, but not a huge one. It is almost exactly the lumen values of a Fenix P3Dq5 on high versus turbo. Just how often is turbo needed to do something that high won't do? We're already at about double the old incan output with the M60L! So for a three time increase in runtime, I'll take the M60L. I'm still not precisely sure how I'm going to use this reclaimed old 6P, but it now has an efficient and very bright long lasting rugged light engine that works with primaries or rechargeables and I am going to use and enjoy it a lot.

-- Alan

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, Alan! :thumbsup:

I see that Gene just added a bunch of M60's to the inventory of his website. But there are no M60L's. Since I want the runtime over max output, I will just have to wait until the next batch arrives I guess... ;)

dhwfd46

Newly Enlightened
I agree with everything in the previous post.

I just got an M60L, today. For me, the beam is more useful than the P60L. I had a 6PL, and returned it due to being unhappy with the beam.

Dumb_But_Tough

Newly Enlightened
I agree with everything in the previous post.

I just got an M60L, today. For me, the beam is more useful than the P60L. I had a 6PL, and returned it due to being unhappy with the beam.

So is the M60L noticeably brighter than the P60L?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Looks like we need one of our members to do a comparison using a lightbox or some other measuring device, even bounce with a lightmeter would be good.

Bill

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
Been having the same question, particularly as it relates to spill. For me the p60 beam is about perfect, wondering how P60LED, and Markoff M60L compare on that front. Thanks!

dhwfd46

Newly Enlightened
The M60L beam is more like the P60 beam than the P60L. The M60L just lights up a room; the P60L has tight hot spot with a defined ring around it. My P60L was really blue. I hated it, and took it back. I love the M60L. I think it's real similar to the P60.

arty

Enlightened
How do the new Malkoff dropins compare with the older one with a reflector? I have an older one - bought just before the new ones came out, and it is not quite as bright as the dropin for a 3D Mag.

Also, how do these compare with the older 3W Bugout Gear Dropins? Any comparison tests?

Fooboy

Enlightened
I have Gene's M60L but don't have the SF LED to compare it with. Gene's M60 and M60L are the same optic/led/etc just the current is 500mA instead of 1A.

It puts out a lot of light and has a nice gradient beam. I really like the longer runtime - you get more than half the light and three times the runtime...

It is an optic, rather than a reflector. There is some fine structure to the beam pattern, but the gradient pattern is very nice. No rings, doughnuts or edges.

I ran the M60L for 20 minutes last night in the round body 6P at Gene's suggestion to check the heat transfer. I used a pair of 3.7V rechargeables. The outside of the light was not detectably warm. Quickly removing the drop-in, I could feel a very slight rise in temperature in the brass body. Barely detectable.

The decision process for selecting between the M60 and the M60L was hard. The L was more available. My first thought was to wait as long as it took, and with Gene going full-time that was likely to be easier. I had just missed a batch. So the choice was between 235 lumens for 1.5 hours, or 140 lumens for 4.5 hours. The more I thought about how to make my old 6P useful, and how many other flashlights I already have that are in the neighborhood of 235 lumens, I wondered if that brightness was necessary and worth the shorter runtime. It is less than a one stop improvement (doubling) for a three times decrease in the runtime. It is a noticeable brightness difference, but not a huge one. It is almost exactly the lumen values of a Fenix P3Dq5 on high versus turbo. Just how often is turbo needed to do something that high won't do? We're already at about double the old incan output with the M60L! So for a three time increase in runtime, I'll take the M60L. I'm still not precisely sure how I'm going to use this reclaimed old 6P, but it now has an efficient and very bright long lasting rugged light engine that works with primaries or rechargeables and I am going to use and enjoy it a lot.

-- Alan

Just got my M60L ... thanks for your post :)

zven

Enlightened
I've been curious about the M60L comparison to the P60L as well, but have also been wondering how the M60LL compares to SF's module. I'm pretty happy with the P60L's output for a long-runtime light, and so if the M60LL is about the same output as that, then I guess that might make it ideal for me as a much more long-running light than the P60L. Any verbal assessment comparing the three would be greatly appreciated, and beamshots would be a plus (I've got an M60, so I know the Malkoff's beam pattern; I'd only need beamshots showing comparative brightness at this point).

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I just replaced the P60L in my G2L about a week ago with a M60LL, its a little brighter but not much but i was looking to stay in that lumen range anyways. It has more throw and a better beam pattern producing more usefull light than the P60L, the warmer tint of the malkoff also gives better color rendition.

Latest posts