L4 Upgrade Recommendations?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everybody,

It's been a while since I've kept track of what's happening with the latest and greatest in portable LED lighting technology. My last big purchase was a Surefire L4 back in the middle of '03! :eek: I carry it regularly, and it has been a great light. I like its tactical nature and I feel I could use it for self-defense, if needed. It's been 100% reliable for me and I love the amount of light it puts out.

I'm thinking about upgrading though, seeing what the new (for me) Cree, Rebel, and Seoul LEDs can do. I've been trying to figure out what the lights I should be looking at are, but I've got a lot of catch-up work to do, and I was hoping you could help me out.

Here are my prerequisites for a light:
1.) It should be reliable, and the manufacturer should have a solid reputation as well.
2.) Bright! I'd like to see something in the 200-300 lumen range.
3.) Multi-stage brightness: a high and low option would be nice, or some user-selectable lower brightness setting.
4.) Form factor should be 2x123A, and roughly the size of the L4. A little bigger would be fine though.
5.) I'd really like to have some sort of annoying/tactical strobe feature.
6.) Runtime should be at least half an hour on high, and at least 2 hours on low.

Thanks!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
First lights that come to mind - I'd look at the Olight T20 or possibly the Fenix P3D. The SF L4 still holds it's own against the new breed of LED's if you are in a smaller space - the wall of light it puts out seems as much as some of the best new LED's - just not any throw though.

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
maybe a wolfeyes, that's the only thing i can think of that might be 200-300 lumens. But I don't know anything about them...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Hey everybody,

It's been a while since I've kept track of what's happening with the latest and greatest in portable LED lighting technology. My last big purchase was a Surefire L4 back in the middle of '03! :eek: I carry it regularly, and it has been a great light. I like its tactical nature and I feel I could use it for self-defense, if needed. It's been 100% reliable for me and I love the amount of light it puts out.

I'm thinking about upgrading though, seeing what the new (for me) Cree, Rebel, and Seoul LEDs can do. I've been trying to figure out what the lights I should be looking at are, but I've got a lot of catch-up work to do, and I was hoping you could help me out.

1.) It should be reliable, and the manufacturer should have a solid reputation as well.
3.) Multi-stage brightness: a high and low option would be nice, or some user-selectable lower brightness setting.
4.) Form factor should be 2x123A, and roughly the size of the L4. A little bigger would be fine though.
6.) Runtime should be at least half an hour on high, and at least 2 hours on low.

Thanks!

I am a KL4 fan and generally see no problems with them, except some heat issues, and the only recommendations I would make since you have a 2003 Kl4 is to have the Lux V emiter changed out for one of the newest WWOS emiters. More lumens and longer runtime with a nice low vf. It will then be competitive with some of the newer leds and still have a decent runtime with one 17670. Put the KL4 on an 18650 body and you will have right at, or just under 2 hours of flat runtime, depending on the vf of your particular KL4. Using a 17670 or 18650 and the light will noticeably drop off before the voltage is dropped too low on the battery. There, I said it.

Bill

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC'ed an L4 (well, technically an E2e w/KL4) for a couple years, and earlier this year, I too went looking for an upgrade. I still really like the form-factor and feel of the Surefire 2x123 E-series, and ended up settling for a modded KL4 (SSC P4 driven @ 1A), E2o body for the longer clip, and a 2-stage switch. I've been EDC'ing that set-up for a few months now, and I don't see myself upgrading again anytime soon.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I EDC'ed an L4 (well, technically an E2e w/KL4) for a couple years, and earlier this year, I too went looking for an upgrade. I still really like the form-factor and feel of the Surefire 2x123 E-series, and ended up settling for a modded KL4 (SSC P4 driven @ 1A), E2o body for the longer clip, and a 2-stage switch. I've been EDC'ing that set-up for a few months now, and I don't see myself upgrading again anytime soon.

If I was willing to forgo the beam shape of the KL4 I might try something like that, but I have plenty of lights that can "throw", and as an edc I like the utility aspects of the KL4, good for close and good for medium distances.

Bill

Gunner12

Flashaholic
No single die LEDs can hit 300 lumen at recommended drive currents yet but we are getting close.

What beam pattern are you looking for?

Companies to look at:
Fenix
Wolfeye
Lumapower
Dereelight
Tiablo
Nitecore/Rapidfire
And a few other companies that I can't think of right now.

You can also send the L4 to Milkyspit to be modded with a Seoul LED and two stage.

wishywashy7

Enlightened
While not a surefire :naughty:, the Fenix P3D Q5 or RB100 should provide you with the same utility and nearly the same form factor as your L4. In the review section someone did a torture test and found it very reliable. The HAIII olive drab finish should appeal to many as well.

I EDC one (backup to a 6P with LED drop-in) and had found it to be very versatile with the multiple modes and have found mine to be 100% reliable

Hope this helps, good luck:twothumbs

Illum

Flashaholic
I haven't been able to find a replacement EDC light to match the L4 for the complete absence of a central hotspot

although some lights have spill/flood that can match the L4 I haven't found the ideal one to retire my L4

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix P3D is an attractive option...I like the price too. Upgrading my current L4 is an intersting idea, which I haven't thought of before. Thanks for the great suggestions...I've got some choices to make.

EDIT: Does anybody know where I can find more information about what milkyspit can do for my L4?

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was willing to forgo the beam shape of the KL4 I might try something like that, but I have plenty of lights that can "throw", and as an edc I like the utility aspects of the KL4, good for close and good for medium distances.
I like that the SSC P4 in the modded KL4 reflector gives the same beam angle, with both a brighter (and, yes, slightly more narrow) hot spot and a brighter corona. The tints a little cooler, but not much. Overall, maybe not for everyone, but I'm happy with it.

Though I would be curious to see a Rebel 100 in the same set-up. :)

BigD64

Enlightened
With the fuctions you want the Gladius with an upgraded Led would fit the bill.

greenLED

Flashaholic

That's a tough series of requirements... especially the lumens one (unless you're thinking emitter lumens, not out the window). :thinking: I'd say the Fenix P3D Q5 comes closest - bright little bugger, plus it has multimodes and it kinda fills all your other wants too.

...and here's one from left field: get a new SF L1 Cree. It's 1x123 but it's about the size of the L4, low/high, very bright, great throw, decent runtimes. You're already used to the L4 "platform", so the new L1 offers more features in about the same package.

Alternatively, find a KL1 and swap the Lux for a Cree emitter. With a reflector and the stock window, such a mod is brighter and has a nicer beam than a stock L4. I'm not sure if you'd get the same effect from modding a KL4, though.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
That's a tough series of requirements... especially the lumens one (unless you're thinking emitter lumens, not out the window). :thinking: I'd say the Fenix P3D Q5 comes closest - bright little bugger, plus it has multimodes and it kinda fills all your other wants too.

...and here's one from left field: get a new SF L1 Cree. It's 1x123 but it's about the size of the L4, low/high, very bright, great throw, decent runtimes. You're already used to the L4 "platform", so the new L1 offers more features in about the same package.

Alternatively, find a KL1 and swap the Lux for a Cree emitter. With a reflector and the stock window, such a mod is brighter and has a nicer beam than a stock L4. I'm not sure if you'd get the same effect from modding a KL4, though.

Hi Migs, just wondering, what does a nicer beam than a stock L4 look like? My KL4 has an awesome wide flood beam with a fairly large hotspot that blends into the flood shape of the beam. I speak about flood here, because the KL4 is about flood. Does the KL4 with a Cree emitter have a better flood beam? I would like that.

Bill

Jim Holzemer

Newly Enlightened
My L4 with the McE2S tailcap has really improved this great light's versatility. Superb floodwall with very usable lower level(22 ohm).

It just made sense to take advantage of this excellent switch and keep the venerable L4 in daily service.

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
My L4 with the McE2S tailcap has really improved this great light's versatility. Superb floodwall with very usable lower level(22 ohm).

It just made sense to take advantage of this excellent switch and keep the venerable L4 in daily service.
I agree...........thats why I have 2 McE2S tailcap's :)

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
Can someone please provide a link to a post for modding a L4. I have been doing a search for the past 3 days, but have yet found one that is detailed enough to get me started.

TIA

bouncer

Enlightened
search kl4 mods trust me there are plenty not many pictures though so if you don't have electronics experience spend the money and find a pro MIlkyspit comes highly recommended

Illum

Flashaholic
theres not much to an L4 that can be modded other than maybe a fancier TailCap or a new clip

try searching KL4 mods instead..but even that probably wont get you anywhere as KL heads are only modded by a few very talented individuals like ACMarina or Milkyspit
L4 Mods
KL4 or KL1 mod

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hi Migs, just wondering, what does a nicer beam than a stock L4 look like? My KL4 has an awesome wide flood beam with a fairly large hotspot that blends into the flood shape of the beam. I speak about flood here, because the KL4 is about flood. Does the KL4 with a Cree emitter have a better flood beam? I would like that.

Bill
That's an excellent question, Bill; thanks for bringing that up. For me, a "nicer beam" in this particular case meant more concentrated hotspot but with enough sidespill to make the light useful at a distance. Also, no donut hole or other artifacts, and a nicer tint. Oh, yeah, more output too.

All this is of course personal preference, and also task-specific. I have a PT Eos headlamp with a SSC P4 and a stippled Khatod reflector that is all flood and I absolutely love that light. For outdoor applications, I like more concentrated beams.

Also, please keep in mind that what I was checking out was a modded KL1, and not a KL4.

Hope that helps.