Smallest (Luxeon) mod on the planet?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: Smallest mod on the planet?

nice spotlight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

actually, i think the photon type mods (where people switch led colors and types) could be smaller...
...but that is a luxeon(!) wow!

please...more details /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OddOne

Enlightened

Yeah, should have clarified "smallest Luxeon LED mod." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

That's truely cute! (But the color /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .)

Larry

(Welcome aboard, OddOne!)

OddOne

Enlightened

That was a 1 color-code Star, so I figured "hey, since it's so darn green anyway, why not use it first in any high-risk-of-failure mods since it's hideous anyway."

Amazingly enough, it worked. My sick, twisted mind had a thought, though... I wonder if I can make a Zetex-based driver thin enough to fit where the fabricated contacts are, and drive the LED at its max... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a neat little mod.. Hopefully the wall he's shining it on is painted green. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
If you want to get more power to it, it might be neat to make a little "remote power pack" to go on the keychain and run a wire to the light. You can likely fit a CR123 in one of those floaty things they have for keychains.

- G!mpy

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
OddOne said:
Amazingly enough, it worked. My sick, twisted mind had a thought, though... I wonder if I can make a Zetex-based driver thin enough to fit where the fabricated contacts are, and drive the LED at its max... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't just add a few more batteries, or change them to 3V Lithium buttom cells. That will be a lot easier and thinner than trying to put a step-up converter in the same space. (BTW, I don't think those two buttom cells can support a LS at its full power anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk

There would likely still be room in the floaty thing for some regulatory electronics even with the CR123. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- G!mpy

[ QUOTE ]
LED mods As Small As Possible said:
[ QUOTE ]
OddOne said:

oO

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't just add a few more batteries, or change them to 3V Lithium buttom cells. That will be a lot easier and thinner than trying to put a step-up converter in the same space. (BTW, I don't think those two buttom cells can support a LS at its full power anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

OddOne

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said:
Sweet! Do you know how much it is underdriven by?

[/ QUOTE ]

At BEST the batts are 3.0 volts and the Star was a pretty crappy one, with a tested Vf of 3.89VDC. So it's MAYBE half brightness.

[ QUOTE ]
Slick said:
That's a neat little mod.. Hopefully the wall he's shining it on is painted green. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, the beam's almost that green. This Star had a color code of 1 and is VERY underdriven, which exaggerates the color. With a stronger power source it's much more white.

[ QUOTE ]
Gimpy00Wang said:
If you want to get more power to it, it might be neat to make a little "remote power pack" to go on the keychain and run a wire to the light. You can likely fit a CR123 in one of those floaty things they have for keychains.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought of that, actually. A little coil-cord to a powerpack that holds a 123 or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
LED mods As Small As Possible said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Also thought about that approach too. I'd rather fit a single 3VDC lithium and a step-up converter if I can make one fit, as it'd give better performance as the batt drains.

[ QUOTE ]
Gimpy00Wang said:
There would likely still be room in the floaty thing for some regulatory electronics even with the CR123. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, thought about that too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

To drive a LS even at half brightness will need something like 200mA, and the best step-up converter is no more than 90% efficient, which means a Vf=3.89 LS will need 290mA (3.89*200/3/0.9) from a 3V source, likely more since the cell voltage drops (a lot) under (heavy) load. The buttom cells simply will not provide that kind of current for any sustained period (even the Photon lights that take 100mA from TWO 3V lithium cells go dimmer within minutes). So to make things more useful (provide good brightness for a couple of minutes at a time), you will be better off filling every empty space with batteries, and not electronics, otherwise you will find yourself relying on the rather dim "moon mode" most of the time.

OddOne

Enlightened

Yep, that was precisely the results I came up with when doing my own efficiency-vs.-supply-power calculations. Fortunately this was an experiment and not intended to be a serious daily-use light (although it could make a VERy nice keyhole-finder).

I have a few ideas for incredibly small light action, but they'll have to wait until I get the ZXSC300s in that I ordered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO