Problem with Fenix P3D Q5

JDJ

Newly Enlightened
Got one about a month ago from the Fenix Store. I'm using a pair of Titanium brand CR123A batteries w/ PTC protection.

On turbo mode, when NOT using the strobe, the light *flutters*. That is, it is like a hyper-strobe. I've tried a new set of batteries, and I get the same thing.

Anybody else have this issue? Any clue what it is? Thanks.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Low battery warning?

If not,

Is the tailcap retaining ring loose and is everything cleaned?

If yes, then you probably have a malfunctioning light.

gnef

Enlightened
Mine did that when I first used it. I left it on for a bit, and cycled through the modes. Once I did this, the flickering went away. I treated it like a break-in period for the driver. Don't know if it really needed it, but it helped.

Do you have a different brand of batteries to try? Do you have a ZTS battery tester?

I use AW RCR123A cells now, without problems for the most part. I think there is a slight flickering on low sometimes, but not noticable unless focusing it on a white wall up close.

JDJ

Newly Enlightened
Well, a few things:

1. The very first time I turned it on, it did it. I turned it off and then back on. It never did it again.

2. I cleaned all the contracts previously not too long ago.

3. I tried new batteries and had the same effect.

4. The malfunction only effects turbo mode with the steady stream of light setting (as opposed to the strobe setting).

5. The tailcap retaining ring is not loose.

I'm still at a loss. Thanks for the replies thus far.