Updating a Micro Illuminator AAA..Suggestions Needed.

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
Some of you might remember the Lambda Micro Illuminator. The original AAA luxeon light...it even had a clicky!
The 1 watter was an "R" rank at a time when they were unheard of!

micro1lk4.jpg

I managed to screw mine up when I removed the emitter from the board. My soldering is very poor as you can see.
The light has never been the same.

micro2kc0.jpg

I need suggestions on how to update this light. Can I simply solder a SSC in place of the original lux?

micro3oe5.jpg

Are there any "pills" made that might fit in place of the original. One of my complaints with the original light is that
it was engineered for runtime over brightness. A new pill with a higher drive current would be an improvement.

micro4sh3.jpg

Darksky

Newly Enlightened
Nice light! I so wanted one of these a couple of years back when I got started but it never came together. Since then I've built many a small light based on the micro pill and its successors. A straight swap with a SSC is probably the easiest way to get more lumens but if your adventurous you could make a new pill for it see here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/164910

You could try emailing Lambda and see if he has any parts left http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda_lights/

If not I'll see what I can dig up in the parts box if you can post a pic of the top of the battery tube without the pill in it. I'd hate to see this go to waste!

Eryk

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Seoul LED would be very close to a direct replacement.

If you make a copper shim to raise the Seoul LED 0.030", and remove that same 0.030" from the back of the stock reflector with a file, or sandpaper, you would have a similar beam with a lot more floodiness than the original.

Use a sharpie to draw around the perimeter of the Luxeon so that you have a reference mark for aligning the Seoul LED. Remember that the base of the Seoul is the anode, and needs to be isolated from ground. Arctic Alumina is the best choice for thermal adhesive, but be sure to use the thinest layer possible.

That should get you started. So go for it, and most importantly, have fun. :thumbsup:

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
Here is the top of the battery tube. The inside diameter of the tube is 10.5mm
My soldering and modding skills seem best suited to destroying otherwise useful lights. The easiest route to resurrecting this light is my preference. Any help is greatly appreciated.

micro5su1.jpg

Blair

Darksky

Newly Enlightened
I've had a rummage and found an old pill that should fit but I'll have to cut another heatsink for it.
It would be nice if the circuit that Gunner12 found would fit but I suspect it is too tall and I think you'd have to do some modding to the tailswitch and spring to get the extra space needed.
Anyway I've ordered a couple of those circuits from the 'other' site as I was putting in an order anyway. It'll probably be the new year before they arrive.
If you can check to see if there is enough space from the top of the tube to top of battery I'm guessing if you can get 11mm and you don't mind modding the tailswitch I'll make one up with heatsink and I have a couple of SSC P4 I'll stick one on as well.
If not I'll make up the single mode one for you.

Eryk

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
Eryk, thanks for the extremely generous offer of assistance. A 10-11mm pill would likely fit, but in truth I'm more interested in a single stage light with max brightness.

I have two complete bodies for the light, a black one that is in "like new" condition, and a silver that I carried on my keychain before Fenix LOP's arrived on the scene. The silver is scratched and the rubber bits are long gone but it has character.

If you're interested I'd be happy to trade you the complete black light with the Lambda pill and Lux1, in exchange for your services in constructing the Seoul pill.

If I send you the black light you could use it to test the modifications, and then send me the completed pill to use in the silver light.

Blair

micro6nt2.jpg
micro7xy8.jpg

Last edited:

Darksky

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a plan! If you want to do that it's fine by me. I'll PM my address to you, but to be on the safe side I'd leave it until the New Year when all the seasonal festivities are out of the way. Eryk

Darksky

Newly Enlightened
Just as well I'd gotten the the Brinkmann and not sent the pill I had as it was a hair to big diameter wise to fit the battery tube. I was going is make another but my order arrived in with the AAA multi mode drivers.
After a quick dry fit would be possible to squeeze it in if the tail spring was trimmed.
I talked to Blair about doing this but all he wanted was a single stage max brightness, which made it even easier for me.
After removing the head of the driver I fitted a heatsink I had cut from copper, and attached a SSC USWOH to it and this is how it turned out
pillns5.jpg

Left to right
Multi mode driver, My driver (it's more function over form) and the original Arcmania/Lambda masterpiece:bow: (if you've never seen one it is tiny)

The original reflector had a small crack in it so I cut down an old 17mm khatod reflector to fit.
refxz4.jpg

Here's the end result along with a few other mini's
rowbs0.jpg

headwa4.jpg

Left to right
The one that started it all for me a Luxon 1w SXOH , My version of the Pocket Illuminator SSC P4 USWOH, Micro Illuminator SSC P4 USWOH, L0D SSC P4 USWOH

And a first for me, beamshots in the same post as well:twothumbs
(Camera was set to manual 0ev :thinking:)

Micro Illuminator original
millorgas2.jpg

Micro Illuminator modded
millmodku4.jpg

Pocket Illuminator
pillqh1.jpg

SXOH
sxohto1.jpg

L0D High
l0dmf7.jpg

So there you have it. The pill and modded reflector will be making its trip to Canada.
I hope Blair is pleased with it and a big :thanks: for the Brinkmann.
I'm off now to make a multi mode one.:naughty:

Eryk

Last edited: