Inova X1 vs Microstream

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need a more reliable light for my labcoat.
I can get the Streamlight Microstream 1xAA or the Inova X1 two watt from Target.

Which would you choose and why? I prefer moderate brightness with reasonable runtime. After tax or shipping, the cost of the two are similar.
I kinda like the idea of a clicky...yet, I fondled...er...handled the Inova today, and it felt solid....

Thoughts?

Bob

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
The X1 is a very solid light, but it doesn't have a pocket clip. The microstream is a lot brighter and has a whiter color. The X1 is still purple/blue even with the 2 watt version. I think the microstream would make a better labcoat pocket light, its lighter weight, has a pocket clip and a clickie switch.

lumenal

Enlightened
I have both lights.

Although I'm in the minority that actually likes the new X1, I have my MicroStream clipped to my pocket every night.

It is so light, I don't know its even there until I need it. Based on weight, go with the MicroStream. It has a solid, bezel down pocket clip, and a tailswitch with momentary on. Alot of light from a single AAA battery. And runs great (regulated) with alkalines.

Two issues folks have reported about the MicroStream:

-The clip drags on the body when unscrewing the tail to change batteries. Just wrap a tiny piece of paper towel around the clip to prohibit scratching, or lift the clip slightly with a finger nail.

-Stiff switch. Mine was, seems to have gotten better with use. The same switch is on the MicroStream's bigger brother, the 2 AAA StylusPro. That switch is perfect, from the very first day I bought it.

Tints are going to vary from light to light, but all 8 of the MicroStreams I tested at the dealer had nice, white tints.

I just did a ceiling-bounce test between the X1 and the MicroStream, and the MicroStream is a tiny bit brighter.

Unless you are hard on your lights and need that Inova durability, go with the MicroStream.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Either one would be a good choice. The switch on the X1 will inherently be more reliable since there is no mechanical clicky to fail, as per the KISS rule, though I have not had any problems or flickering with the nice forward clicky on the Microstream. The Microstream is a little brighter overall and has far more throw, but the X1 is actually quite a great utilitarian light due to it's unique beam pattern, a slightly brighter center spot (diamond shaped) with an even, smooth spill / flood, you can see everything good within its radius of illumination. Of course, the circuitry in the X1 kind of sucks, output drops quickly on an alkaline then begins to flicker a little after an hour of use, whereas the Microstream has relatively flat regulation for around 2 hours. Depends on you and your needs.

Edit: I find it pretty sad and maddening that Inova refers to the X1 as "2 watt" when the "0.5 watt" Microstream outperforms it in overall output AND throw.

Last edited:

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, great info, thanks! I'm leaning toward the Microstream, because I think the clicky may be useful incertain situations, and the lightness will be a plus (I carry a lot of stuff in my labcoat, so it gets pretty darn heavy).

The general beam shape was mentioned: which light is more "floody?" I will need more flood, as the light will be used at fairly close range.

Delta

Enlightened
Why not the stylus pro? I love mine, and it has 5 more lumens and 6 more hours runtime.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not the stylus pro? I love mine, and it has 5 more lumens and 6 more hours runtime.

I considered it, but it is very long, and I carry the light horizontally in the bottom of the left pocket, rather than clipped vertically.

Strangely (for us CFP fanatics!), I am concerned about it being TOO bright.

I currently use a Dorcy 1xAAA (older model with bypassed resistor and a Nichia CS) which has excellent output. Based on Quickbeam's charts, I believe it is about as bright (or a bit brighter) than the ARC-P. It is certainly brighter than the Attitude and Opalec.

It is nearly perfect for my needs (huge flood, decent but a bit blue color, bright enough to assess epidural sites, dim enough for me to sneak into a patient's room and check pumps/etc), but has one issue: occasional dimming and flickering, which has to do with poor tail contact. I think that it may pick up junk in the pocket, as well as develop corrosion/etc.

I clean it regularly, but it can be a bit unpredictable, so I wanted a light which had similar qualities, but have greater reliability.

I have just looked at some more contenders, and the Fenix EO looks interesting, as well as the newer Infinity Ultra, but despite using the Nichia CS, they may be a bit dimmer than the Dorcy.

On the other hand, the Microstream probably puts out twice the light...

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I have both the Microstream and the Stylus Pro, as well as the older versions of the X1 but not the newer 2w version. In this case I would definitely recommend either of the Streamlights over the Inova, especially if you're doing a lot of intermittent shots of light. The forward clicky of the Streamlights is much easier to use intermittently than the forward twisty of the Inova. It's rare that I ever click my Streamlights fully on, so hopefully the switches will last years.
Our labcoats don't have a breast pocket, just two big hip pockets. The Stylus Pro is a little long for a normal shirt breast pocket, but I think it would clip nicely in a bigger labcoat pocket. Since you're just carrying it inside the pocket, the longer Pro might turn on accidently if the pocket isn't very wide. I usually carry the Microstream since I'm not actually in the lab and just wear regular shirts at work, but I would like the much longer runtime of the Stylus Pro if I used the light more minutes a day.

Last edited:

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am definitely leaning toward the Microstream...and, I could possibly change my old habit (hard to do!) and clip either the Microstream or Stylus Pro inside one of the larger hip pockets...

I do have another concern: I read that the switch was very easy to engage, so I worry that if it is laying inside a pocket (versus clipped nose-down), it may run the battery flat.

Oddly, I thought I read somewhere that the clicky was pretty firm...

lumenal

Enlightened
Well, concerning the switch - the momentary on can be activated fairly easily with a light press - maybe an issue if the light is carried horizontally in a pocket.

However, a firm push is needed to click constant on.

Delta

Enlightened
I don't usually throw this little jewel of wisdom around, but just get them both (Stylus Pro/Micrstream). It's not like you won't find a use for the one you don't EDC.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I should have heeded my own advice regarding pocket carry. I killed the battery in mine yesterday leaving it horizontal in a jacket pocket... Other stuff must have held the sensitive momentary switch on long enough when I hung the jacket on a chair overnight.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thread. I've also been looking for nice little light for my shirt breast pocket, and while I like the longer runtime aspect of the Stylus Pro, I am concerned that it might be a bit to long or heavy for that use.

Could somebody comment on the suitability/or not of the Stylus Pro for that kind of duty? Thanks.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to be the only one careless enough to do this, but I've killed two Inova lights by dumping the batteries and putting new ones in with + toward the front, like I do for every other light I own. I won't buy any more.

Some people standardize on lights using one type of cell or another. I standardize on lights having the cells face the same direction.

c_c

cv3po

Banned
If you don't mind a twisty switch I'd HIGHLY recommend the Fenix LOD-CE. It has a great following here on CPF and on it's first setting (medium) it is rated at 20 lumens for 3.5 hours vs the Microstream at 20 lumens for 1.5 hours............both on a single aaa batt. The next setting is low at 7.5 lumens for 8.5 hr followed by high at 50 lumens for about an hour. If you turn it till it's just on and then back it off about 1/4 turn, there is just enough play in the threads so that you can grip the head with your pinky/ring fingers and press the body with your thumb.............makes for a handy momentary. Still, even as a twisty it sounds like the first setting would be perfect for you. The "hotspot" is nice and wide and the spill is beautiful. At 2' from the wall I get a total useable spot of about 2.5' (with a middle spot of about 8"). It's a nice beam and if you need to do really close-up work just twist it to low and it's all good. Good luck to ya'

BTW, it comes with a sturdy clip for those of you that want that

Last edited: