Finally, 20w edipower portable light - flashlight lots of pics!

Phaethon

Newly Enlightened
:laughing:Finally it's almost over. I had to source a 10-15 degree lens and have a housing from solid aluminium, machined for the setup to obtain sufficient heat dissipation. For added piece of mind, i tried using a pwm circuit (based on a 555 chip) to drive the 17.5V, 1.1 Amp led in order to reduce heat production. However, i could find a matching step up converter so it's driver by just a step up converter and 14.8v li-ion battery. Problem is that the lens provides a very wide beam with huge light diffusion :candle:. I can actually light my toes when holding the light straight forward at hip height-don't know if this helps-. It's definately not a spotlight, even with the lens that claims to be a 10-15 degree one. Temperature is ok though.I am waiting for a pcx lens to arrive, to try and get more focus from the centre, but next project will use the osram ostar 20w+ instead of the edison.
Enjoy...

Throw comparison pics to my nuwai tm-801 triple seoul p4 @ 1Amp. The bright one is the seoul :sssh:.

Phaethon

Newly Enlightened
I intented to use it as a dive light, but due to it's flood light pattern, i'll probably use it on my mountain bike or as a reading lamp! :popcorn:
Next project will use the ostar led i think....

estoydpaso

Newly Enlightened
I intented to use it as a dive light, but due to it's flood light pattern, i'll probably use it on my mountain bike or as a reading lamp! :popcorn:
Next project will use the ostar led i think....

Really, you did what I am trying. Well I'm not trying to flood the light or the canister, or having a wide beam, ... :sick2: but I am trying to dive with my smallest, brightest, coolest, canister torch.

Could you give us any information else, about, the led, lens, flooding problems, ... I have several possible solutions to avoid flooding for mine, and if any had failed (or not) with yours, ... better to know and to share.

Phaethon

Newly Enlightened
The edipower led has a relatively HUGE emitting surface so you can't practically focus it to build a diving light. You would have more chance with the ostar 20w led. I am going to try the osram ostar with the ledsee lens soon, with the addition of a pcx lens that will try to focus more light in the center. I will let you know, but i think that the best setup for a diving light is an ostar with aluminium reflector.. You can check this thread for a really awesome application....
http://www.tauchfunzel.de/OSTAR1_en.htm

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173306&page=2

Good luck!

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 20 Watt reading light. Reading what? Billboards?

Isn't this a little overkill, since my $14 50 hour energizer Nichia works fine for reading?

Actually, I shouldn't laugh, since I am breathing down the neck of age 40, I too may need your light for reading soon.