I have done some reasearch - honest!

aeronic

Newly Enlightened
I am after a light for my non-flashaholic father-in-law (cheap - under $20)

It is to be used for dog walking mainly - has to be AA batteries, and LED (I have a fenix l2d/l1d Q5 that I love).
It doesnt have to be EDC sized - I think that 2AA or more would be fine.

Additionally, because I live in England, DX is pretty much my only choice for bargain lights.

Does anyone have any recommendations from their own *personal* experiences on any of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.942

thanks.

aeronic

Newly Enlightened
thanks, I like the fact that it's 2AA, as i'm pretty sure his charger will only take 2 at a time.

d1dd1

Enlightened
yeah, and you can also use it without the extension with 1AA with same brightness, but lower runtime

aeronic

Newly Enlightened
that's strange regulation - my l1/l2 affects the brightness somewhat.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
I'd suggest the Ultrafire C3 (single mode) with AA extension tube, a great give-away for the price :twothumbs

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4452
I have an UltraFire C3 CREE (from DX) and think it's a terrific little light. Certainly well worth the $20 or so I paid for it several months ago. However, iI think I recently read somewhere on CPF that the product may have been cheapened recently. I'd check and ask around here on CPF before I pulled the trigger.

Jim

aeronic

Newly Enlightened
to be honest, i'm not spending $35 on a light thats not even for me!!

BigD64

Enlightened
aw come on suck up to the father-in-law. Maybe you can borrow it and he'll forget you have it. :crackup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Comparison review of the single vs multi-stage Ultrafire C3 here:
Ultrafire C3 Multi-stage vs Single-stage (14500/3AA ADDED): RUNTIMES, pics!

But read through the thread and you'll see the output/modes/build quality is now *extremely* variable on these lights. On the multi-stage, you may even get a completely different circuit with lousy runtimes and no real low modes. Frankly hard to recommend that light any more.

The Romisen RC-G2 is a very nice single-stage 1AA only light. Discussion of it here.

aeronic

Newly Enlightened
thanks for that info, i was concerned about build quality somewhat - and was going to go for the one mode light anyway.
I like the look of that 1AA light, especially the price! - thanks.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
This one is probably the best build quality out of all the AA lights on DX. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3266 Anodizing is not so great, but it makes up for it in it's insane ruggedness and great performance, with a nicely regulated circuit. (HFlash HF2). It's very bright, and you only get around 40 minutes off of an alkaline, so it's definitely more of a brightness light rather than runtime, but with a good NiMH, you'll get nearly 2 hours. The old flickering problem is gone now too, as the anodizing stops towards the inside lip of the head.

aeronic

Newly Enlightened
even one hour will be plenty for a dog walk, thanks for all these great individualised recommendations.

arioch

Enlightened
I just got one of these from DX:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7503

The build quality is pretty good, similar to my Fenix L2T (old 3W lux). It is bright, with a very smooth hotspot (OP reflector) and decent spill. It is not as good of a thrower as some of my other DX Crees, but should be more than bright enough for dog walking. It is also able to use 1xaa, 2xaa, and 1x123 batteries (less bright with the 1xaa, though). The price is right, at $15.82.

Of the lights I have bought from DX (some of the cheaper ones which were utter toilet fodder), I have found the Romisen line (I have the RC-G2, RC-KF, RC-F4, and RC-13) to be pretty good in terms of quality (relatively speaking for budget Chinese lights). I have only had one problem with a RC-G2 with what appeared to have been a defective circuit board that DX cleared right up with a replacement. Please note that I did buy a total of 7 of the RC-G2 model over two orders, and except for the one mentioned, the other 6 work fine.

As DX is your only option for your gift, I would recommend one from the Romisen line. :twothumbs:

d1dd1

Enlightened
I received 2 C3s single mode +aa extension 4 weeks ago and they are imho the same build quality like my "old" c3 I got about 8 months ago :candle:

garence

Newly Enlightened
I'd also give a vote for Romisen. They seem to be the best value brand sold on DX (very good quality at great prices). I've got the RC-G2 and for just under $11 shipped it's a fantastic light, very well made and of decent brightness. A non-flashaholic would think this light is easily $20 or more.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
When I questioned the quality of the new crop of C3s, I was echoing the comments I have seen that SEMIJim was also referring to. There are a lot of comments out there to consider, but I am glad to hear that good C3s are being made. IIRC some of the lights were reportedly made with poor threads; maybe they have fixed it...

aeronic

Newly Enlightened
I have gone for the RC-G2 and for just under $11, price being a very important consideration here - i'll let you know how it fares.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the Ultrafire 606A. It has excellent build quality and is very bright. The C3 used to be great, but build quality has been suffering lately. It's sku 4238 here.

+ One more for the Ultrafire 606A...I have too one will be gifted

The new Magled is a joke compared to it...