Yet another use for the multi-talented Inova 24/7

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I recently got a new car ('07 Saturn Ion) to replace my rusting-out '02 Neon, the Ion is a great little car, perfectly suited for New England winters.... car gets encased in ice from freezing rain? no problem, flex the polymer body panels and ice falls off in sheets, the spaceframe concentrates the weight of the car over the wheels, slap a set of snow tires on it, it's unstoppable....

anyway, time for the flashaholic content....

the one thing that annoys me about the interior of the Ion is that it has a "Toyota-esque" dome light, which is switched on with a switch in the dome light itself, I have to reach above and behind me if I want to turn on the dome light, the Neon had a lever-mounted switch for the dome light, the same switch that turns on the headlights and activates the turn signals

If i need to illuminate something in the front seats, it's annoying to reach behind me and switch on the dome, then forget it's on, get out of the car, lock the doors, and since the Ion has delayed power locks (5 second delay), by the time I've realized I've left the dome light on, the doors have autolocked, so I have to dig out my keys, unlock the door, open the door, turn the dome light back to the "door" setting, and set the locks again

So, i was digging through my center console, and happened across my Inova 24/7, clipped it to the lower right edge of my sun visor, and voila!, a much more usable front-seat lighting system, I can use the two white LED levels for interior illumination, or flip down the front visor and activate the two emergency modes in the event of a breakdown or other emergency, and when I want to have that cool "tactical" interior look, I can dim down my instrument panel lights, flip the visor down and illuminate the instrument cluster with the red LED's, or flip the visor back up and light the interior red (which matches the exterior color ;) )

the 24/7 is certainly more convenient than the overhead dome light

Hmm, what'd be cool would be a multicolor Rebel-equipped 24/7....
(Hint, hint, Inova......)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three Inova 24/7's, and still haven't run out of uses for 'em...but Inova is upgrading there LED's to Luxeon (?) in '08

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt they'll change the lights that use 5mm emitters, at least I really hope they don't. If they could cram a few new emitters in the 24/7 without compromising anything, it would be a real winner.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Another 24/7 user checking in. Had it for about 4 years now. Another old time classic LED light. Unique, many many uses... super. Maybe I need another? :laughing: Only on the second CR123A too...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Good idea, I'll keep that in mind when I get a car in a few years.

I have three Inova 24/7's, and still haven't run out of uses for 'em...but Inova is upgrading there LED's to Luxeon (?) in '08

I heard they are switching to Cree, they are currently using Luxeon K2s in their highpower LED lights.

The 5mm ones are probably going to stay the same.

hopkins

Enlightened
Got my Inova 24/7 just now for Christmas. I'd never handled one before
and so couldn't figure out how to turn it on and did not want to go to the
instructions. Think it was Christmas present syndrome or something.
People were laughing. :crackup:--Whats wrong!! hahaha! Too complicated?---

:thinking:How embarrassing! I figured it out after a bit and it is a wonderful light.
Low white draws 9ma.
high white draws 135ma
---out of the supplied cr123 battery.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 24/7 is certainly more convenient than the overhead dome light

Nice idea. I've even seen people mount headlamps above their rear-view mirrors for a more powerful dome light.

If you ever need a more powerful flood option, I would recommend the Cree puck light on DX (link). It's not far from a ZebraLight P4 Cree on high.