UCL Lens On Space Needle II -- What a Difference!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif Shame on you for not trying these lenses earier!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They are indeed "da bomb". People who have examined my mods that have UCL's say that it's hard to tell there any lens there at all... And yeah, Chris is a great guy to deal with and gave me a discount for bulk ordering. Highly recommended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
After I did the testing for Chris, I tested the OEM lens on the AA Minimag. You get about a 10% increase in transmited light by taking the OEM lens out! I was also supprised to see that the cheap glass lens is not much better than the OEM lens.

Mr Bulk, measure your LGI with and without the OEM lens and see if you get a difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
Mr Bulk, measure your LGI with and without the OEM lens and see if you get a difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A-hah! Will try tonight...

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: UCL Lens On Space Needle II -- What a Differen

Okay. I'm convinced. I just ordered some UCLs. Thanks for the info, guys.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

I asked this in another forum, but you all may not have seen it, so I'll ask here.

What makes the UCL lense that much better than a plain ol' plastic lense, especially if the plastic lense looks very clear?

Thanks!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Putting various chemical coatings on glass will increase the light transmission of the glass. That is why all good quality photographic lenses are coated. When I measured the UCL lens, I got around 8% increase in light transmission over the OEM plastic lens, for a total loss of light transmission of 1% or less (99+% transmission for the UCL lens).

I measured the light put on one of my Minimags with and without the lens and got an increase of around 10% with the lens out! Cheap glass lenses are not that much better than plastic lenses...around 8% increase.

That is why I advise those that are looking for max brightness from their modded Minimags that use the Leuxon optics to remove the lens. Instant 10% increase in light output. The optic is still pressing against the o-ring, so the water resistance should still be ok.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Only problem with that Roy, is that the acrylic of the NX-05 is easily scratched and scuffed. It wouldn't be long before the no-glass advantage was gone. Now if the front of the NX-05 were hardcoated, that would be a different matter.

Wilkey

Prodeje79

Newly Enlightened

Got my lenses in the mail! I will install them soon!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

btw what is your brightest mod? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif