Matt at Art of the hide RULZ!

wallyrulz

Enlightened
First off, let me just say that Matt is the best. His work is impeccable. Not only is is work first class all the way, he is awesome to deal with. Very easy to talk to, and he listened to everything I had to say, even the useless stuff! :whistle:

I have many belt sheaths of various qualities ranging from the mediocre to the lousy. So far the only one that has held up came with a Buck alpha hunter. Not a good fit, but at least it held together.

In April I was able to pick up a black lioncub/pd holester from Kenny J. He had used it as his edc for a year. Since then, I have had it on my belt nearly every day. Shown here (sorry for the lousy photo).

holester2-1.jpg

It looks just like it did the first time I saw it. Fabulous. Well built does not really begin to cover it. It is FAR superior to anything I have ever used. And, it got me thinking.

My black lioncub has been my favorite light from the moment it first arrived. Especially when I put the lionhead on it. My eyes just about popped out of my head the first time I tried it. When the chammie came along, I of course loved it as well, and then became equally wowed by what happened when you put the lionhead on it. I have always wanted to be able to carry a lionhead with me, but it never really did well in a pocket. Just too big.

Enter Matt.

I sent Matt a pathetic doctored up photo of my holester with an idea for how to carry the lioncub, 168 tube, extra 123 battery as well as the lionhead. Matt was definetely up to the challenge. I give you the coolest edc accessory I have ever known.

cubholster1.jpg

It holds all this.

cubholster2.jpg

Check that, one Lioncub, one 168 tube with battery and delrin cap, as well as two extra 123 batteries.

Here are some other shots.

cubholster4.jpg

cubholster5.jpg

And what may you ask is that little leather flap sticking out from behind the lionhead? Well I thought you'd never ask. That is Matt's brilliant idea for getting the lionhead out (it fits VERY snugly). It works just like the ribbons in the battery compartments from old walkmans and such. Just pull, and out it pops like so.

cubholster6.jpg

This has been the best addition to my edc rotation ever. I have carried it everyday for a week, and it totally rocks. It carries well, and though it seems big, it does not feel big. And as I am of how shall I say, rather large stature, it actually works quite well and looks small on me.

The flap covers only the battery tube section and lionhead areas. The compartment on the right is open. This allows one to carry the lionhead and 168 tube when being used, leaving the 123 tube and small head in the extra compartment. Like so.

cubholster7.jpg

And you may ask, how does one carry such a wide holster on a belt? Well, again Matt's brilliant idea. Not one, but two pocket clips. This allows the holster to ride on both sides of a belt loop. It is actually quite easy to put on and take off.

cubholster8.jpg

I had originally thought that I would only use this for outdoor work/camping type situations, and told Matt just to use whatever leftover stuff he had laying around. I guess Matt didn't hear me about the I don't care if it's ugly part:poke:. :D Instead it is beautiful. I have worn it everyday for the week I have had it, as well as to church on Sunday.

It is obvious that the level of attention Matt puts into his work is incredible. This thing is built like a tank, and I have no doubt that it will last for a very long time. Thanks Matt. :twothumbs. Now I've got to think up my next project for him!

wallyrulz

Enlightened
Awesome looking work and very nice attention to detail......:thumbsup:

Yes, Matt's work is top notch. I have seen a lot of handcrafted work, but it is evident that he brings an exceptional amount of talent as well as hard work. Many use expensive hides to cover so so work. Matt's work deserves the best hides.