Noob help with Nite-Ize drop in

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Hi,
can someone tell me more about this LED drop in?

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=127

1- Is it merely a Nichia mounted in a PR flange?
2- Am I correct that there is no DC-DC regulation built in?
3- Are there any benefits from overdriving this LED? I want to try it out with 8xAA cells, but if there is no difference than using 2xD then I won't bother.

Thanks in advance!!:grin2:

Marduke

Flashaholic
It's not a Nichia. It's a cheap 10mm LED. There is only a buck circuit, and maximum brightness will be obtained with 3 or more cells. It's not regulated, but it sips so little juice, it will act regulated, as it will last for a very long time.

Review with runtimes:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/niteize_magbulb.htm

Also, it's only specd to 9 volts, so best not to use it with more than 6 cells.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
OK thanks I was hoping it was a nichia... or at least an OEM/generic version of one. (IE same thing, just not labeled as a Nichia product)... rats!!

Most of the negative comments seem to be coming from 2-cell users. Does it perform better at ~9V... or perhaps overdriven just a little?

Anyone know?
thanks!!

Marduke

Flashaholic
It will not be any brighter with over 3 cells. So, a 3 cell light will give you your best bang for the buck.

It's not meant to be a power house, but rather a long runtime upgrade. It's capable of squeezing the last bit of juice out of a cell, and will run off ONE D cell for several weeks while still putting out enough light to move around in complete darkness.

Since it's emitter sits low compared to other PR base LED's and incans, it's best used in variable focus lights. I keep one installed in one of these for power outages, camping, etc., stored with 4 D cells sitting next to it.