Anyone notice Maglite's slight change?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at D-cell Maglites at the store a while back, and I noticed a slight difference from older ones. On the barrell, the older ones I have say "PATENTED MADE IN U.S.A." The new ones in the stores say "PATENTED IN U.S.A." Why did they omit the word "MADE"? I also noticed that on the newer packaging, right near the American flag, it says somthing like "An American manufacturer", and not "Made in U.S.A.". Why did they change this? I realize not every single piece is made in USA, (like the bulb or LED), but it's been that way for a number of years, and just recently there's this change in wording. Anyone know why?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll give ya a guess and it's they probably aren't "made" here anymore. Very unfortunate that this happens. I won't say what I want to say, but I bet you can figure it out.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked the MagDs I picked up at the Lowes Black Friday sale. They do have the markings mentioned, but the small print on the packaging says:

"Flashlight designed, patented and manufactured in the U.S.A. Mag Instrument's factory is located in Ontario, California."

I would assume that means it's still made in the USA and the wording change is not indicitave of the lights being imported.

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
I have noticed that too. But I didn't think too much of it. I have some 2c lights and some say PATENTED IN U.S.A and some say PATENTED IN USA. I thought that it might mean that some parts were made elsewhere. Things like bulbs would come from Hong Kong or Mexico, it even states that on the bulbs. Maybe some one with more knowledge can share.

willrx

Enlightened
Maglica has always tried to save as much as possible while still producing a quality product. Maybe omitting the "made" portion saves a few cents on each of the millions of units produced each year? I'll send Maglite an email and ask.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked the MagDs I picked up at the Lowes Black Friday sale. They do have the markings mentioned, but the small print on the packaging says:

"Flashlight designed, patented and manufactured in the U.S.A. Mag Instrument's factory is located in Ontario, California."

I would assume that means it's still made in the USA and the wording change is not indicitave of the lights being imported.
I hope you are correct Don. :)

Akita

Newly Enlightened
:huh: Here is the official requirements link for products that can claim they are Made In USA.

Link: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/madeusa.shtm

It reads like a mouse trap designed by a committee of monkeys.

Typical government double speak that contradicts itself every other paragraph.

You could drive a freaking house through the loopholes and have a mile to spare on each side.

A first year law student could tear their guidelines and requirements to shreds in a legal dispute.

No wonder Wally World ( China Mart ) can sell Made In USA products so cheaply.

It figures...

:(:(

hopkins

Enlightened
I hefted one of the 2Dcell Mag's at Walmart today and it felt quite a bit
lighter (lower mass) than my old one (with no batteries of course).
Wonder if they are going with a thinner tube?