fenix p1 polarity?

sino

Newly Enlightened
I've obtained a P1 second hand, but there's nothing on the flashlight to indicate whether the CR123 battery is inserted with the negative end or positive end facing the tail.

I know this light isn't protected against reverse polarity, so I'm nervous about trial and error. I assume the negative end goes towards the tail and the positive towards the head, but the tail end has no spring the way negative terminals often do.

So, can someone please tell me for sure which way to insert the dang battery? :laughing:

I searched old threads but couldn't find anything conclusive.

Thanks in advance.
S.

garence

Newly Enlightened
If there's a spring in the tail cap, definitely + towards the head.

If the manufacturer's photo of the light is shown with the battery adjacent, it is positioned in the direction it would be inserted in the flashlight.
fenixp1d01t.JPG

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

A P1-CE does not have a spring, but it is + to the head.

A P1D-CE has a spring at the bottom and it is also + to the head.

Let there be light!

sino

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, all. My instincts were correct: positive side towards the head.

One reason I was confused (and why you have to be careful with info on the Internet) is that I found this on a couple of retail websites:
• Please put the battery's anode side towards the light's head. Reverse polarity may damage the circuit.
I believe the anode side is negative, so if I'd followed this advice I would have burned out the circuit.

Thanks again.

sino

Newly Enlightened
• Please put the battery's anode side towards the light's head. Reverse polarity may damage the circuit.

Found this same text on the fenix store's website as well for the P1D. Very confusing. Evidently this same text was copied and used elsewhere, which is pretty common. I wonder how many blown lights resulted from this error.