Lithium AA's in gerber infinity ultra ??

Saiga

Enlightened
yeah, i imagine it's been asked and aswered here already........SOMEWHERE. But i've found our search feature as close to useless as on other forums.
ANYway.....can anyone tell me for sure if i'm OK throwing a lithium AA in my infinity ultras ? thanks........:thumbsup:

LG&M

Enlightened
I have a Gerber IU but I don't have any Lithium AA right now if I did I would fire it up. I am sure it will not be a problem. In fact I think it would be a good idea the shelf life of the lithium is much better and the already great run time will be better also. For me this is a good back up light that you might not use often but it needs to work when you need it.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Ironically enough I just changed to lithium aa's in my ultra-g the other week, no problem so far and yeah I think I remember Roy or someone mentioning it a while ago

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Compared to the original "alky" mine started with the current L91 lithium is cranking out much more light. Don't hesitate to use lithiums.

Dantor

Enlightened
I've been reading Li are okay in them, how about eneloops? reason I asked is theirs a nice deal on the light at amy-Z today only! and not to hijack but I was wondering cause I got one :D

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using Energizer lithium AA's in my Infinity Ultras for years as well. The only issue I've had was I had a lithium cell vent inside an IU a year or two ago, the pressure buildup was so great I had to use a pliers to unscrew the head, and it flew across the room with a very loud "POP". I retrieved the head, put a fresh battery in, and the light works fine. The older ones at least, are built like tanks.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use lithium in that and many other "back up" lights. Lithium will not ruin your light should the very unlikely leak occur. Lithiums are insurance against damage and provide more reliable performance than alks that suddenly die or fade away, especially in cold temps.

Alks will out-gas, too, and it makes unscrewing these lights difficult. You have to push the parts together very hard so they can be unscrewed when that happens.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I very rarely store any batteries in my lights with the exception of a nightstand lantern however I once did keep an Ultra-G in my glove box for over a year with a lithium cell and no problems.

I will say that the Ultra-G and lithium combo is a very long run time light. Once I fell asleep reading with an Ultra-G and Lithium cell and when I awoke I simply forgot I had been reading. The light had fell under my bed and I never really noticed it until a few days later when I was cleaning up.....It was still going pretty strong after I believe 3 days of constant use.

Saiga

Enlightened
Thanks everyone. Though i was already satisfied with your responses, the following copied and pasted from a gerber FAQ site definately puts it to rest.....

Which of your lights are regulated?

Infinity Ultra, Sonic, Bonfire Blaze (white L.E.D. mode), and Tracer Headlamp.

Can I use Lithium batteries in your products?

In all our lights EXCEPT the Reactor 3.

coloradowildman

Newly Enlightened
This is all great info, thanks everyone. I really like my Gerber IU too and was wondering if anyone had any more info regarding lithiums and runtimes in these.

Merry Christmas!

Led75

Newly Enlightened
not sure about run time but my infinity on liths is as bright as my fenix E1!

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these lights and I really like it, however, I tried a lithium AA in it and it does not seem any brighter to me. How noticable is the difference? I am going to wait until this eve and try it once again in a dark room!

Mike

Burgess

Flashaholic
BTW, can anyone point me to a CPF review of this flashlight ?

Yes, i've already seen the one on FLR/Quickbeam's site.

Hey, i'll bet this light really needs the new Nichia DS LED. :naughty:

SHOTshow 2008, perhaps ? Hmmmm ? :whistle:
_

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
BTW, can anyone point me to a CPF review of this flashlight ?

Yes, i've already seen the one on FLR/Quickbeam's site.

Hey, i'll bet this light really needs the new Nichia DS LED. :naughty:

SHOTshow 2008, perhaps ? Hmmmm ? :whistle:
_

I have an Ultra that I upgraded to a Nichia CS. It makes a great light even better. I already have another host that is just waiting for my DS emitters to arrive and it will be getting the DS transplant.

LG&M

Enlightened
this_is_nascar I bet upgrading two UI would not be much harder then doing one:whistle: What do you say?

Last edited:

Latest posts