SF 9P(L) versus G3L runtime

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
If the literature on the Surefire website is to be believed (and from my experience with their products I believe them) then the new G3L with the p60 LED runs for 5.8 hours with tactical level (60 lumens or more) light output before dropping. Thats with all the heatsinkng issues, plastic body, etc.

Can anybody make a educated guess as to how many hours of tactical level light the all-aluminum SF 9P would put out? Just wondering.

If its more than 7-8, the original 9p with a P60L will prolly be my new backpacking light :D:D:D.

Thanks

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
My 6PD with detonator cell extender and P60L runs about 7H 21M on 3 primarys then I notice a drop in output. Not exact but thats all I can offer.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing it would be shorter as the module will have better heat sinking and thus run at a higher current/output because of this. I'm basing this on the 6P vs the G2 host performance as measured by chevrofreak.

kelmo

robm

Enlightened
From chevrofreaks runtime tests with the P60L in a G2 and a 6P, the 6P ran at high/tactical for 3/4 of the time of the G2, but at higher output due to better heatsinking (i.e. the thermal regulation does not limit output as much).
6PL 3.3h at approx 75 lumens vs G2L 4.5h at approx 60 lumens

I would expect similar for the 9PL (vs G3L)- over 4 hours (vs almost 6) but at higher output.

I am surprised by your 7 hour runtime Sqt. LED (greater runtime in a '9P' than Surefire's claims for the G3L), but then I am easily confused :)

edit: Or what kelmo said ^ :grin2:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Maybe I should put 3 fresh ones in and try again just to be sure. Of course it could just be my really early module from the G2L. What do you think?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd appreciate that, so I'm bumping this one up. I'm thinking of a P60L in a 9v host and I'd like to know how it does.