Another shocked non-flashaholic

KingGlamis

Banned
I know we all have these stories, but I love them and thought I would share what happened today. Today one of my regular customers came in holding a part he wanted me to look at. I had to inspect the threads of the bolt hole so I pulled my Fenix P3D RB100 from my holster. It was already set to Turbo so I just turned it on. WAY TOO MUCH light for the situation, which I knew it would be, but I always like seeing people's reactions. Sure enough, he took the bait. Here's the conversation after I lit up my trusty P3D...

Him: WOW, that's a bright light!
Me: Yes, well, flashlights are my hobby.
Him: Hobby?
Me: Yeah, I collect them.
Him: Really? Why is that light so bright?
Me: It's just new technology. And it cost me around $70, so it better be bright for that price. (I didn't really have time to explain it all to him).
Him: $70?????????????????????
Me: Yep. But it's worth it.

At that point he was almost speechless and then came up with... and I'll bet 75% of you have a good idea what he said... drum roll please.....................................

Him: Well the ONLY light I own is a 4D Mag, and it's the opposite of yours. It's big and heavy and not nearly as bright.

Bingo! Another one "sees the light." :D

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep !

The real beauty of having a Very Bright flashlight,

yet it's small and compact enough to carry (EDC) on yer' belt.

Isn't technology wonderful ! :kiss:

Great time, indeed, to be a Flashaholic !

:twothumbs
_

jugg2

Enlightened
Cool story! I got to show off my T-1 a little tonight, basically the same conversation lol.

Brian E

Newly Enlightened
Have had a few of those conversations at work. Really odd thing is most everyone here makes good money but hardly anyone can see spending over $25 on a flashlight.

Want to really freak someone out, show them an Omega watch. Yes, it does not keep time as well as a Casio but in 20 years it will still be worth something.

hopkins

Enlightened
About the same. We're walking back from dinner at the Yosemite lodge thru the woods. Its an overcast dark night and pass a family with one yellowish
incandescent.
We've got three 1watt luxeon headlamps set to high high making
the leave strewn path easy to walk on.

As we pass I hear one child complain: we should have real lights
like those people do!

Katdaddy

Enlightened
This forum has ruined my joy. I used to be so proud of my Maglight. I still have an unmodded one that now sits in a drawer. I fired it up the other day just to remind me what it was like. So sad!!

cat

Enlightened
Have had a few of those conversations at work. Really odd thing is most everyone here makes good money but hardly anyone can see spending over $25 on a flashlight.

Yes, same here. They spend it on house things, like curtains and appliances and pool cleaners and so on, though. ....It might have something to do with the tendency in our society these days for the wives to control the income.

Sometimes I think it's even a factor in my urge to buy another light - to freak them out because I've got so many and they cost so much.

pathalogical

Enlightened
Why not offer that customer a simple, low cost mod for his 4D Mag ? I'm sure he will be impressed with it ! Then, you can suggest an even better mod for just a few more bucks for the same light. Next thing you know, he'll be on these forums complaining about an empty wallet !!!

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a P3D Q5. I once used it at night to look for a side road that veers off the side of an unlit road. It seems brighter than the vehicle we were on, a Dodge Grand Caravan. That really got the attention of a few friends of mine in the vehicle at that time.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
This forum has ruined my joy. I used to be so proud of my Maglight. I still have an unmodded one that now sits in a drawer. I fired it up the other day just to remind me what it was like. So sad!!

Not so long ago (7 months ago), I once commented to my self: "Wow, that is bright". After turning on my brand new 2AA maglite ;)

I am now a convert to those expensive bank account draining Crees.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
This kind of story always reminds me of two things:
  • The interests of individuals vary widely.
  • A great many never give a thought beyond their own interests and have no comprehension that others may be just as interested in something else.
Sometimes someone will ask how much a light cost and look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them -- and never consider that not one of the motorcycles that they collect (or whatever) cost them as little as my most expensive light.

Sheesh.

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
When I first showed a good friend of mine my SF G3, she was like 'so what'. When we were out that night driving tryin to find an address on a mailbox, I whip out my g3, BAM !

Her: Wow. Thats bright.
Me: Its only like 100 lumens
Her: What are lumens?
Me: [explaining patiently]
Her: Thats really bright!
Me: In the vast scheme of things, its not, really.
Her: Huh?
Me: A lot of guys and gals I know have much brighter lights?
Her: [blank stare]
Me: You ever heard of CPF? :devil:

Needless to say, I got all of my lady friends lights for xmas. Princeton Tec Pulsars, in fact. They're starting to realize that I like lights :shrug:.

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
I know we all have these stories, but I love them and thought I would share what happened today. Today one of my regular customers came in holding a part he wanted me to look at. I had to inspect the threads of the bolt hole so I pulled my Fenix P3D RB100 from my holster.
I carry either a Fenix P2D in my pocket or a Fenix L0D on my keychain. I'm 50 years old and suffer from mild prespyopia and I really need to use a 1.25 diopter reading glasses for any small print. Anyhow, I don't go around with reading glasses, instead I find a bright light helps my pupils constrict which then gives me a better depth of field, and better focus. With a good bright light I can generally read anything up close.