tiablo confusion

pipspeak

Enlightened
Um, what's the difference between the A8, A8S, A9 and A9S? All seems to be available with Q5 emitters. Tailcaps look slightly different. I'm confused.

Also, is this a flashlight that can be upgraded? Looks like it'll be tough since the emitter is essentially part of the battery tube.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's mainly the driver.

The A8s will not run on 2 RCR123 batteries and CR123 batteries have to be run for a bit on low before you can use high but the light works great on 18650s.

The A9s run well on RCR123s and CR123s but isn't as regulated as the A8 wit a 18650 battery.

x2x3x2

Banned
They are pretty much the same.

The A8 is an earlier model which has a thicker band of knurling on the battery tube, while the A9 has a hexagonal rubber cigar grip attached.
The A9's tail cap allows it to tail stand and has holes for lanyard attachments.
The A8 only came in black while the A9 is availabel in OD as well.
I'm guessing the "S" stands for standard. They are available with standard bezel, crenelated bezel, or both.

Btw, I don't thik the A8 will work with 2x 16340. Its stated that working current is between 2.7-6V. The A9 can.
2x 16340 will go up to 8.4 freshly charged, and even when normalized produce 7.4V.

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A8 has a buck/boost converter that handles batteries somewhat below or above the LED voltage (2.3-6V), the A9 a buck converter that handles higher voltage converting only downward to the LED (2.7 to 10V compliant), and the S models have Premium Q5 bin LEDs for slightly higher efficiency and light output. The Non S versions have an older LED bin with slightly lower efficiency and light output, as I understand it.

There is a forward clicky switch and a reverse two-level switch. My A9s came with the two-level.

-- Alan

pipspeak

Enlightened
Hard not to be confused really :confused:

The A8 (non-S) sold on Lighthound has a cree Q5 while the S version does not so perhaps "S" stands for standard, as in not a fancy emitter. All appear to have the crenelated bezel. The A8 is available in both black and natural, as is the A9. I guess it's the switches and boost circuit that are different. The A8 does indeed offer a 2.3-6v vs. the 2.7-10v for the A9. That and the tailcap design seems ot be the only difference, although the "S" still confuses me.

Someone at Tiablo need to explain this better. Their website doesn't help one bit.

But basically the output and throw of a Q5 A8 is gonna be the same as a Q5 A9, right? I'll be running primaries, and it seems the A9 circuit offers far greater runtime for CR123's than the A8 at about the same output, which makes it a no brainer.

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the past "S" and "Special Edition" were synonomyous and referred to the select LED bin models, but that seems to have been lost. Of course as the bins advance, yesterday's "Special Edition" becomes the standard.

-- Alan

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
For Tiablo the S had to do with the bezel style(normal or Sculptured). I think S=Sculptured bezel. The A9 was marginally brighter(then the A8) running on 2 RCR123's at the expense of runtime. Also if you are going to run an 18650 get the A8 Q5(flat output over the entire run). If you will be using RCR123's or CR123's get the A9(declining output using an 18650 because it only uses a boost driver).

Last edited:

Latest posts