Petzl Megabelt Cree´d up!

Scattergun

Enlightened
I got really tired of my Petzl Megabelts narrow beam and short runtime yesterday....had to mod it:whistle:
Ripped out the guts of the headlight, replaced the bulbholder with a simple AMC7135 circuit for 1050mA
pc190022ph6.jpg

Replaced the twisty-switch with a generic klicky from DX, set it with some hot glue to the back of the bezel.
pc190023tp8.jpg

Built a heatsink out of two rather big Swedish coins and fastened a Cree P4 with some thermal epoxy.
Total cost 1$ fifty cent excluding the P4 wich was laying around in a drawer after some ancient project.
pc190024zo1.jpg

Mounted the heatsink on top of the driver with some epoxy.
pc190025ps8.jpg

Endresult was a floody and pretty impressive 200 lumen headlamp! Heatsinking is working and the
coins aren´t getting all that hot after five minutes.
pc190026dd1.jpg

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice mod. i have an old, much used, MegaBelt myself and you have made the mod appear very easy to do. so much for all those spare bulbs/lamps i have !!

thanks for posting the pics of your fine mod.

Scattergun

Enlightened
Thanks!
The mod is really very easy to do, and the endresult, though floody to the max is very useful! I have only tested it on some AA´s in the holder, but I´m getting C-cells later.

Scattergun

Enlightened
I used it for some light work around the house today, and realized that I needed some more throw after all!! Added a Mini MagLed reflector and voila...a D-Mini on my head!! :D

Scattergun

Enlightened
Tried it with some C-cells last night and it works just fine, same output as AA-cells. Also filled up the void between the heatsink and edges of the bezel with some melting-glue. It left a white surface from wich the reflector is reslly just standing straight up... the blue lower part of the reflector is shining through the glue when lit. Makes a very nice blue glow to around the bezel....
Pictures later!