If Fenix can come up with new K2 TFFC emitter

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope Fenix can produce some flashlight with new TFFC Luxeon K2 - LXK2-PWC4-0200 or higher.
That would be fantastic and it can on all type of cells.
I was thinking the T1 with various type of cells.
And the T1 has some options :-
1. T1 with 2 modes constant current and output.
2. T1 with multiple mode such as the famous L2D Q5.
3. Comes with natural HA-III and Olive dab HA-III.

Both can take any type of li-ion cells or Fenix can use the new K2 emitter in either one of their existing model of their wide range of flashlights.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182870

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
To be honest I hope all manufacturers carry a line with the emitter! I see Cree and Seoul as the leaders, but I like healty comp. and think we need more LED makers trying to be #1. Variety being the spice of life and all..................... even though I was taught that the spice (which must flow) was just giant worm poop!

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly the K2 has no advantage except that it can take relatively high current. But with the Rebel beating it why use the K2 at all?

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
Wasn't this a topic in the LED forum? I'm no engineer, but my understanding was the K2 was designed to run at higher output and amperage, whereas the current Crees need to be overdriven to achieve the same output. Wouldn't that mean more consistent and reliable performance?

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

Marduke

Flashaholic
Wasn't this a topic in the LED forum? I'm no engineer, but my understanding was the K2 was designed to run at higher output and amperage, whereas the current Crees need to be overdriven to achieve the same output. Wouldn't that mean more consistent and reliable performance?

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

Little backwards. Crees and Rebels can achieve the same output at LESS current, because they are more efficient. So, they don't have to be driven as hard to achieve higher output.

It's all marketing hype on for the K2. Sure, they run great driven at 1A, but the "other" brands can do the same with less.

Brozneo

Enlightened
Little backwards. Crees and Rebels can achieve the same output at LESS current, because they are more efficient. So, they don't have to be driven as hard to achieve higher output.

It's all marketing hype on for the K2. Sure, they run great driven at 1A, but the "other" brands can do the same with less.

There maybe questions about the output / efficiency but I've heard they are better at colour rendition - now that's a selling point for me!

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
This is my understanding as well. Color rendition much better than current LEDs, getting much closer to incans. Would this mean a Fenix, or any light with this type of color rendition, be more effective in the field? I can think of many instances where the color temp of my current LED lights has washed out the target area. Whereas, the same target area illuminated with an incan has provided a much clearer picture of the objective.

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

There maybe questions about the output / efficiency but I've heard they are better at colour rendition - now that's a selling point for me!

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
The New K2 TFFC LEDs also have better color rendition with the red/yellow area of the spectrum compared to the cree or the seoul or even a rebel. Also keep in mind that it can be safely driven at 1.5A without a rapid life degredation. Apart from that it also has a lower thermal resistance than the previous K2 (5.5 opposed to something ~8)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the color rendering is noticeably better, it's probably worth trying to get these into some flashlights, and drive them hard (1.5A). As long as they are more efficient than an incan, but offer similar color rendering, it sounds like it's worth trying.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to have as another option for those that need color and depth rendering over battery life of a Cree - though still a battery life improvement over incans.
I hope they get into some lights too. If Inova uses them as I heard rumor of, then I will have to try one.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be great if Inova came out with some lights that used K2 TFFC's, and maybe some smaller ones with Rebel's. Give me a reason to buy another Inova. :)

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest I hope all manufacturers carry a line with the emitter! I see Cree and Seoul as the leaders, but I like healty comp. and think we need more LED makers trying to be #1. Variety being the spice of life and all..................... even though I was taught that the spice (which must flow) was just giant worm poop!

Dune kicks ***! :popcorn:

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
382182185_7fe0d6af041.jpg

Tobias Bossert

Newly Enlightened
Yes, there is a significant reason for some modders to use new K2 TFFC intead of even more efficient Cree XRE or SSC P4:

K2 TFFC is compatible with old K2 with respect to mechanical geometry and primary optic (spacial pattern)!

If you have a reflector or optic optimized for K2 and do not want to change it, you will prefer to take the new K2 TFFC though it is less efficient as singele emitter.

For example there is still one singe mirrored lens on the marked providing a super narrow beam with more than 180cd/lm (Carclo 60mm), but this is achievable with K2 emitters only!

With K2 TFFC '0160' you achieve minimum 28.000.000mcd and about 40.000.000mcd typical!
Does anyone know a comparable solution with Cree XRE or SSC P4?

daveman

Enlightened
Lumilleds has NOTHING on the table right now to run with Cree, or even SSC, for that matter. The Rebel 100 was a good counterpunch after taking a whole year of beating from Cree, but Cree has since moved on with their R bins and the Rebels recall was nothing less than a dagger in the heart for Lumilleds after a whole year of defeat.

Even IF, and that's a big if, the K2s have slightly better color rendition, that will not be enough to overcome their inefficiency or poor reliability in portable lighting that runs on small batteries. Not to mention, much of Lumilleds products are vaporware.