Discovered a flashaholic dog in the family!

Mr_Light

Enlightened
Last year I gave various family members modded Mag lights for Christmas including my niece who lives a couple hours away from me. A few months later she mentioned that one of her two dogs really liked carrying around the flashlight I had given her, which seemed a little strange since a 4D Mag is quite a mouth full. This past Thanksgiving we visited my niece and her family and I got to meet the real "lighthound". I of course brought a nice fresh Mag as a treat! As soon as I brought out her treat she started jumping up and grabbed it ran off with it to start chewing on it (these are some long lasting chew toys). My niece then showed me how her dog likes to "play" with the flashlight, which consists of shining the beam around the floor and chasing it endlessly including in circles for longer than I could even watch without feeling dizzy. Her dog carries a flashlight around for hours at a time and will fetch it anytime you say "Where's your flashlight". While I was there I made the mistake of getting out my pocket carry light to try to find her Mag that had rolled under the couch. She immediatly started trying to get at my little light and saw when I put it back in my pocket which she continued to nuzzle for most of the time I was there. One handy aspect of the obsession is that if she gets out of the house at night all they need to do to get her back is to go outside and start flashing a light around and she comes running.
Here is her picture with her Thanksgiving Mag Treat:
IMG_0477.jpg

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that would make one heck of an avatar.
Those eyes remind me of emitters at the base of a reflector.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Nah, I had a dog that tore the Al downspouts off my house and chewed them into little pieces when I was at work. It suffered no ill effects from that, it did from me the next day however! Stupid dog drowned in flood water 2 1/2 years later. I miss the big retard.

GreySave

Enlightened
<< Put a rubber sleeve or something around the light, easier on the dog and more "chewy" >>

I'd be cautious of that. You donpt want to provide the dog with anything that could provide for intestinal blockage. That would either:

1.) Kill the dog

or

2.) Kill your wallet via the payments on the surgery to remove the blockage.

Chewing off bits of aluminum or grinding off the teeth trying to chew the aluminum off isn't good either. My recommendation from years of having dogs and working with dogs is supervised play only. Chasing the light is good. Carrying the light is good. Eating the light is "bad dog" time.

tussery

Enlightened
That is HILARIOUS!!!!! I found out the other night my little Catahoula puppy is fascinated with a laser pointer! I spent 15 minutes running her up and down the hall and around with it. Great fun.
One of our Weimaraner's is so obsessed with laser pointers that the minute you pick it up she starts looking at the ground for the dot. And then when you put it away she will spend 10-15 minutes looking for the dot under furniture.

Brozneo

Enlightened
That is HILARIOUS!!!!! I found out the other night my little Catahoula puppy is fascinated with a laser pointer! I spent 15 minutes running her up and down the hall and around with it. Great fun.

Same thing happened when my cat was a kitten!

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
man...I am laughing to tears...

That dog deserves a tooth-friendly toy....How about plastic bodied lights?

da.gee

Enlightened
My English Setter (Millie) goes absolutely nuts for a laser pointer dot. She gets apoplectic chasing it around the house bashing into things. Even after we turn it off she still is hyped up for the next 30 minutes. She has now even taken to getting excited over regular flashlights. She won't chase the hotspot but she'll bark and bark. Sheesh! Not good when your family is asleep and you're testing flashlights at midnight.

Burgess

Flashaholic
This is a wonderful "LightHound" story. :wave:

Thank you for sharing it with us. :thumbsup:

BTW, if you give her a G2-SureFire, i'd imagine SF would
post that photo on their website !

Stick a Santa hat on her head, and snap a picture. :santa:

_

Destroid Monster

Newly Enlightened