Tax Software Advice?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few people have told me that Turbo Tax saved them many dollars.

Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Greta

Flashaholic
Spend the money, save the headaches, get ALL that you are due back and then some... get an accountant.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbo tax works fine for me. I've been using it for years. It can help you find many deductions you don't know about. If your tax situation is really complicated, a tax accountant would be wise, as Sasha recommended.

Darell

Flashaholic
I've used accountants and I've used TurboTax. My family is populated with accountants actually. After catching substantial mistakes from two accountants (one family member, one "other" professional) I've decided to stay the course and do my own. Don't get me wrong - TurboTax is still a pain in the ***, and still needs to be improved, but it beats working through the forms manually.

Now, why we're subjected to this kind of abuse EVERY frigging year is beyond me. Bring on the flat tax. Tax me on what I make, tax me on what I spend. I don't care - lets just level the playing field and save billions of hours of effort a year.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how does the US tax system work ? (just interested to know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:

Now, why we're subjected to this kind of abuse EVERY frigging year is beyond me. Bring on the flat tax. Tax me on what I make, tax me on what I spend. I don't care - lets just level the playing field and save billions of hours of effort a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much how the UK tax system works, we are taxed a percentage of our earnings and most purchases incur tax.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha -

The older I get the more willing I am to pay for and delagate tasks in luie of headaches. I know I will heavily consider your suggestion. Alas, my income is less than 100k per year and I didn't invest in the stock market. Was that wrong?

Stingray -

Thank you for your clear accessment.

Darell -

That has always been a concern to me.

On your views toward tax itself: I feel as though you may be holding back. Would you expound on your stance?

Thanks.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
x-ray said:
So how does the US tax system work ? (just interested to know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh no you didn't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif Well, here we go!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
[ QUOTE ]
x-ray said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no you didn't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif Well, here we go!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFLMAO!!

*pulls up a chair*... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I walked straight into that didn't I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
Darell -

That has always been a concern to me.

On your views toward tax itself: I feel as though you may be holding back. Would you expound on your stance?

[/ QUOTE ]
Me? You know I have no strong opinions on anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Don't even get me started!

I get a deduction for an EV purchase, but that is reduced because I'm also taking a dependent deduction. And both are affected by the Alternative Minimum Tax which comes into play because of my mortgage interest deduction and I can only deduct $3000 worth of my capital losses on the stock market and carry over the rest for years and years to come, and I can't electronically file because I'm using a form that has no electronic counter-part, and...

Good god! Just make it stop. Or shoot me.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used Tax-Cut for the last three or four years on a moderately complex tax situation and it was quite easy to use and it did find at least one tax savings thing every year that I would have missed on my own.

This year I'll probably just do it by hand though- the situation is much less complex.... Looks like this year I only have to file a single C-EZ and a 1040 instead of the 5 Schedule Cs, 27 other forms and the 1040 of previous years.

Ah, the joys of a single, simplified life. The cut in income is really worth the cut in irritation during tax time.

Ditto Darell- Bring on a flat tax. (or better yet, NO tax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) Never happen though. The politicians need the complex tax code so that they can pretend they are doing something for their special interest groups. Plus they need to complicate things so that the lawyers stay busy.

(That's why I say NEVER elect a lawyer to make laws... They use their positions to enrich themselves and their fellow shysters and pettifoggers)

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
x-ray said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen the moviebrazil? It's like that with all the forms and stuff.