I'm wearing down a skeptic at work, his will is weakening

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
The store manager at work has always been bemused with my flashlights, like most of the Unenlightened, he has a Minimag incan and is quite happy with it, I've been demonstrating many of my lights, and he never really showed any interest.....

SF G3 W/ P61 (yawn)
A2 Aviator W/ Aviatrix (yawm)
E1L-SR (slight interest, then yawn)
Fenix L1T 2.0 (slight interest, mainly because of the two levels)

today, however, as I was unpacking my new Arc AAA-P DS, he walked over, ready to give me some more good natured heckling, I dropped an L92 cell in the AAA DS and fired it up

"Whoa, that little thing's bright, what is that?"
this, it's the latest Arc AAA Premium, a little AAA cell light
"All that light, out of one AAA? that's cool"
yeah, here's the older model (pull out my keyring with the previous gen AAA-P on it, turn it on and hold them side by side), they run for about 5 hours per cell bright like this, then you get a long tail of dimming light, this little thing's brighter than a 2 AA incandescent Minimag
"Yeah, that new one is definitely brighter......so what are you going to do with the old one?"
keep it on the keyring, or maybe just hold onto it for backup, always good to have backups
"true....." (I can sense the dissapointment)

a few minutes go by.....

"So, is there any way I can upgrade my Minimag, maybe something to get longer runtime perhaps"
Sure, there's lots of options, ranging from simple LED clusters all the way up to "Hotwire" mods
"hmm, well, that's something to think about"

I think I may hook him up with something, after all, it's the Christmas season, if I didn't like my old Arc AAA-P so much, i'd have given it to him, I'm still rolling that possibility around in the back of my mind though, more than likely, I'd get him one of the Nite Ize kits (the 5MM cluster if he wants flood, the Lux if he wants flood-to-throw) or maybe one of the TerraLux kits

Looks like his resistance is failing.....

as my Sig used to state....
"Resistance is Futile, you will be Illuminated"

DM51

Flashaholic
Great work, Mac! You've got him, lol. He'll soon be signed up here and waving goodbye to all his $$.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Show him a Surefire M6. Nobody ever yawns when they hold/see/shine one of those... :huh:

Burgess

Flashaholic
to MacTech --

Order this (from Sandwich Shoppe):

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.c...d=950&osCsid=dfeb8f91fe4d1e8774f974239e7264e2

This is a two-pack. Install one in your boss's Mini-Maglite.

Replace his batteries at the same time. :whistle:

And the other, how about presenting it to him,
(already installed in a new Mini-Mag "Pink" in color)
for his wife ?

That oughta' get you tons of "brownie points" every time they use 'em.

:thumbsup:
_

Brozneo

Enlightened
to MacTech --

Order this (from Sandwich Shoppe):

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.c...d=950&osCsid=dfeb8f91fe4d1e8774f974239e7264e2

This is a two-pack. Install one in your boss's Mini-Maglite.

Replace his batteries at the same time. :whistle:

And the other, how about presenting it to him,
(already installed in a new Mini-Mag "Pink" in color)
for his wife ?

That oughta' get you tons of "brownie points" every time they use 'em.

:thumbsup:
_

Haha - ask for a payrise at the same time!

Greenlead

Newly Enlightened
Start him off with the Nite-IZE 1W LED, as it is relatively (compared to other mods) inexpensive and consumer-grade. Once he becomes comfortable with it, he'll be more open to more expensive and complex lights and modifications.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: Good Job! :devil::devil::devil::devil:

MacTech

Enlightened
Actually, I got him hooked today, I brought in a small selection of my spare lights, a Fenix P1 (original natural Lux III), a Fenix L2T, and a Peak brass Kilimanjaro (the 1AAA 3 LED keychain light), and let him choose....

He chose the P1, he was absolutely *floored* by how bright it was, "how can something this tiny be this bright?"

.....if only he knew how "dim" the P1 is by today's standards.....

since he's web-savvy, I told him about BatteryStation and BatteryJunction for inexpensive 123's, so feeding the P1 won't be an issue

the hook's been set, it's only a matter of time before he will be needing his next "fix".....

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
Actually, I got him hooked today, I brought in a small selection of my spare lights, a Fenix P1 (original natural Lux III), a Fenix L2T, and a Peak brass Kilimanjaro (the 1AAA 3 LED keychain light), and let him choose....

He chose the P1, he was absolutely *floored* by how bright it was, "how can something this tiny be this bright?"

since he's web-savvy, I told him about BatteryStation and BatteryJunction for inexpensive 123's, so feeding the P1 won't be an issue

the hook's been set, it's only a matter of time before he will be needing his next "fix".....
Oh...you horrible LED Flashlight pusher you!!! Before long he will max out his Mastercard and file for Chapter 13. :devil:

MacTech

Enlightened
Yep, he's definitely hooked now, I was unsure before, but now he's showing clear signs of early-onset Flashaholism....

I walked out onto the sales floor to find him turning the light on and off and grinning, he gave me a good natured blast in the face from the P1, so obviously, I returned the favour with my P91'ed G3

His response "you're not playing fair" ;) I simply grinned.....

He's also been reading reviews on his P1, and is quite pleased with how everyone raves about it

He's already talking about wanting more power, maybe I should let him in on the "2C Mag 123a" mod, as it's serious power on the cheap, and likely to absolutely dumfound him

greenLED

Flashaholic
Mac, a Nite-Ize Lux drop-in for his minimag might be all he needs. But, you could also give him your old Arc, or get him one of the L0D SE's that are on clearance at fenix-store

Spence

Enlightened
Hey Mac,
It's the giving season, go ahead and buy him an Arc AAA+P like yours. He'll instantly "bond" with you and you'll be forever ingratiated to him. You'll have him wrapped around your finger, a new CPF member, and tons to talk about. Go ahead, it's a small investment that will bring you a great deal in return, as well as, a friend for life.
Spence
:poke::devil::twothumbs:crackup:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

SWEET :)

Get him the Terralux upgrade for the MM anyway, the new Cree can be quite fearsome. I am contemplating one for my own personal MM. It was a special gift from someone 12 years ago and I think they would be quite impressed if I turned it into a Cree-powered monster :D