SureFire Kroma :under the hood

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I just wanted to share a couple images with you. PK gave me a Kroma that wasn't sealed with the liquid weld or whatever it is that now seals the SF lights and keeps me from even considering taking them apart. I was able to remove the bezel from this particular Kroma and peek inside:

Kroma-Guts-1.jpg

Kroma-Guts-2.jpg

Now I read on occasion how SF is behind the times and not keeping current with LED technology and yes, this light has a Luxeon as its high power LED. However, I challange anyone to show me a more sophisticated LED flashlight in terms of electrical and mechanical engineering and machining! There is a black plastic LED organizer ring on the front end of the 3 mm LED's but the black you see in the mid portion of the LED leads and partially sticking out the rear of the PCB is all one piece of machined aluminum. This is the LED's heat sink and I did not photograph the LED and optic pocket that is machined to host the Luxeon and TIR optic but it is quite impressive. Eight connector pins join the forward section to the aft electronics and switch assembly.

To this untrained and ignorant person, the engineering of this flashlight is more akin to other personal electronic devices in terms of complexity than it is to a simple tube style flashlight.

It is what it is and I for one am not going to engage in discussing what it might be; I keep those thoughts and opinions to myself (and maybe share with a friend who doesn't need such feedback from me! :nana: ).

Anyway, IMHO, what it is is most impressive on many levels and simply beyond my understanding. I didn't take it completely apart but I can see three PCB's that are each double sided. 2 functions from the tail switch through 5 channels available from the selector ring gives you a total of 10 different beam outputs. This from a reasonably straight forward user interface.

I asked Paul if he would mind if I shared the pics and he said go ahead so I have. No further point or motive to this thread here beyond a simple show of under the hood. From a mechanical frame of reference that I feel reasonably comfortable with, the SF A2 broke ground with its billet head. The Kroma continues in such a vein with its integration of metal and electronics with a packaging requiring some sophisticated engineering or so it seems to me; at least in relative terms.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:kewlpics: Don!

The only time I've seen the innards of a SF, was a KL1 that I helped a friend mod. I was impressed at the level of detail that's found inside these things. Of course one look at the top end of the A2's battery tube should be a hint too...

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wowza! That is very, very impressive. I simply had no idea.

Thanks Don for the pics (and the nerve to take your Kroma apart...). Here's hoping it went back together again, and worked! :)

OK, so the obvious question: Can you throw a Seoul in there??? :sssh::whistle::nana:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
WTH ??!?!?!?! This is looking freaking awesome. :eek:oo:

All this complex stuff is the price for the KISS interface then? I am more than impressed.

Thanx for sharing! :)

bernie

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wowza! .........Here's hoping it went back together again, and worked! :)

OK, so the obvious question: Can you throw a Seoul in there??? :sssh::whistle::nana:

Yes, it went back together and worked just fine. To your obvious question I quote myself:

...It is what it is and I for one am not going to engage in discussing what it might be; I keep those thoughts and opinions to myself .....

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is what it is and I for one am not going to engage in discussing what it might be; I keep those thoughts and opinions to myself (and maybe share with a friend who doesn't need such feedback from me! :nana: ).

:devil: Gee, I was hoping I could fall into the "...share with a friend (or, as I was hoping in my case, a kind, rather dimwitted and thoughtful acquaintance) :wave::tinfoil:

Just kidding.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I would have bet money on it not being that complex - and I am not a betting man.

After you see what makes her tick and have an understanding of the costs to engineer, test and manufacture such a beast, helps me justify the $$$ I spend on mine. Really a pice of high technology more than a flashlight.

I wonder if some of the other "high tech" lights are that involved - U2 may be similar but what about the Fenix stuff - I bet not.

djblank87

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing those pics Don, it is nice to finally get a look inside the head of a Kroma or any other Surefire for that matter.

The opened head of an A2 like greenLED said should show most, that there is a whole lot more than meets the eye.

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing those pics, Don. Really, really nice and sophisticated electronics! :rock: You are braver than I would be! I'd never get it back together again. :green:

EV_007

Enlightened
Excellent images. I love the straight forward interface and innovative design of the Kroma. Thanks for the peek inside.

BigD64

Enlightened
Those pictures are so beautiful ......I think.....I'm....gonna ...cry.

Nice job, gives me a whole new appreciation of my Kroma.

I hemmed and hawed about blowing the dough for it but once I got it I was happy. Now I'm even happier.

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Those are some very impressive internals. Now they just need to put a Cree Q5 or Lumileds K2 TFFC in there!

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very impressive. Many a time I have nearly bought a Kroma...for some reason something else always seemed more important. Now I want one again :poke:

Regards,
Tempest

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
I finally got a KROMA-MILSPEC today and I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. Thanks for taking the time to share the pics!

- Chris