Best way to shave down bulb pin size?

D-Dog

Enlightened
While on my quest to transform an ordinary stinger xt hp into a mod using a 1274 bulb and two 18650's, I have run into a little problem... the bulb pins are too large to fit in the socket holes. This probably means I have two options:

-Enlarge socket- how? how hard to do?

-Shave pins- I tried this with one bulb and for now it is working, however with a file this was very time consuming, and because the pins bent a little, the filament is no longer straight... Is there an easier way?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
the bulbs glass or quartz will also easily break messing with them pins too.

ask for a Dremmel for Xmas , the cutoff wheel (especially the fiberglass ones) will grind away at metals at high speeds, so you can use minimal pressure. that will keep the damage to the rest of the bulb down, and "file" like a banchee.
get the speed fast, and just touch the thing lightly , and metal goes flying everywhere :)

oh did i mention eye protection :)

Last edited:

D-Dog

Enlightened
Thanks a bunch for the answer. After a little google image searching later, the fiberglass one is the larger black cutoff wheel, also a lot thicker, right? As for the first bulb, I was able to file it enough so that it fits in the socket ;) I know however that even though I did not break the quartz or pins, by bending the filament a little, I probably compromised the airtight envelope... but it works great right now so I'm not complaining.

So your order would be:

-take out bulb from container - with what?
-put it in (what) to hold it
-bend pins inward (with what?) and then outward to ensure fit in socket about a mm smaller
-use dremel to shave pins
-carry back and put in light
:party:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey you didnt say bend the pins :)
now that is getting tougher.

i was just trying to help with the filing :) the INCAN forum would be best place for the bulb socket info.
the fiberglass dremmel thing are bigger, and dont fall apart , the ones that come in the kits will blow off in your face, but they are much thinner and smoother for thin cuts. they call them "cut-off wheels" we use them for everything imaginable.

the sockets usually use a glancing flat conductor internally, a wide strip of metal \\ that attempts to make as much contact down one or 2 sides of the pin \o\, that means you MIGHT be able to expand the hole in the sockets top insulator alone to expand the size of pin that would go in.
and, depending on the shape and direction of the internal conductor, because some are Ued where the pin lands, you might be able to make a slide slot in the top insulator plate, that would fit more bulbs.

we had to do that with an old projector with obsolete bulb.

i observe the direction of the connections through the tiny hole there, then shove a drill in and slide it sideways cutting a path, in the same direction that conductor is. but i had "nothing to lose"

but i dont do hotwires , just video lights and stuff, so i dont know the bulb item, or the socket item your using, so i probably shouldnt have tried to answer the question.

what to pull the bulb out with? Paper towel wrap, or use the plastic foam that is around the new bulb. what to Hold it with, same thing. cause human skin oils and acids bad for hot bulbs. terlit paper and snot nose paper all can have oils permiated in them, paper towel is usually clean.
i could get it into a vice, with rubber jaws (still wrapped), but i wouldnt risk it

then what about alignment? if a slide slot or a bent pin offset the centering , that would suck.

Last edited:

D-Dog

Enlightened
Yea, right now I am just very happy that the bulb I have in there now fits great and works fine. However, I know that this will not last forever... probably not even as long as it should because I moved the filament... Anyways, right now I am using cotton to remove the bulb so no fingerprints :) The hardest part is figuring out the order, shave pins first and then bend would probably be better, as the pins are easier to bend them :)