Decisions Decisions which one

Albinoni

Banned
I'm planning to buy a new LED torch for my self and have been tossing up between a LED Lenser tactical focus 7438 or a Modifled Fenix L2P which has been modified byMiller Mods of CPF. Now I've looked at the Lenser tactical focus but not seen or tried the Fenix. I will say that I did like the Lenser very much its build quality and its brightness of 65 Lumens. Though I'm not sure how does the lumens of the Lenser compare to that of the modifed Fenix L2P and which one is brighter. Also another thing thats also important to me is battery consumption.

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au...0012/+FENIX+2AA+-+1+WATT+FLASHLIGHT+MODEL+L2P

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/showProduct/ZL7438

Questions

1. If you had a choice which one would it be and why?
2. What LED bulb do the both above take eg Cree etc ?
3. Which one would be brighter ?
4. Are they both just as well made as one another i.e Lenser V Fenix
5. Warranty, which is better ?

Last edited:

copperfox

Enlightened
What will the flashlight be used for?
What types of cells are available to you? Would you use rechargeables?

I have that lenser, only mine is modified by CPF user "FlashCrazy" with a Seoul emitter. It is very bright and the beam is adjustable from narrow to wide. The output is about 240 emitter lumens, or 170 lumens out the front accounting for 30% optics/reflector losses. The runtime on three NiMH AAAs is about an hour at full brightness then decreasing output.

You should probably buy a light with a Luxeon Rebel LED, a Seoul Semiconductor (SSC) LED, or a Cree LED because these three are the brightest and most efficient.

I have no experience with Fenix lights, but many CPFers seem to like them.

Albinoni

Banned
What will the flashlight be used for?
What types of cells are available to you? Would you use rechargeables?

I have that lenser, only mine is modified by CPF user "FlashCrazy" with a Seoul emitter. It is very bright and the beam is adjustable from narrow to wide. The output is about 240 emitter lumens, or 170 lumens out the front accounting for 30% optics/reflector losses. The runtime on three NiMH AAAs is about an hour at full brightness then decreasing output.

You should probably buy a light with a Luxeon Rebel LED, a Seoul Semiconductor (SSC) LED, or a Cree LED because these three are the brightest and most efficient.

I have no experience with Fenix lights, but many CPFers seem to like them.

I do alot of maintenance work in a building and sometimes need to work in dark areas so need something with a good beam.

I've got access to Duracell Procell's AA/AAA what ever as work supplies me with the batts so thats not a problem, though I dont know how people here on this forum rate Duracell Procell. No probably wont use rechargeables.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd say go for the L2D-CE Q5. Much brighter then the Millermods Luxeon III L2P and multimode. Don't forget the 8% off coupon at Fenix Store, "CPF8".

The newer Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin, Seoul P4 U bin, Luxeon Rebel 100 and new K2 are at least twice as efficient as the previous Luxeon I, III, V and K2 LEDs. That means for the same power, the newer LEDs will output twice or more light then the previous LEDs.

1. L2D(CE, CE Q2, Rebel 80,Rebel 100 or CE Q5) vs Lenser, stock, I'll take the L2D over the Lenser, the L2D much more output. Modded Lenser? depends on what I'll use the light for. The L2D would proably be my choice because of it's multimode ability.
2. Described above.
3. Stock, the L2D would be brighter.
4. The lenser seems to be of good construction. Check this thread for Fenix abuse.
5. Fenix Store has great customer service if you are in the US. Better then the manufacturer's warranty.

:welcome:

Last edited:

Albinoni

Banned
I'd say go for the L2D-CE Q5. Much brighter then the Millermods Luxeon III L2P and multimode. Don't forget the 8% off coupon at Fenix Store, "CPF8".

The newer Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin, Seoul P4 U bin, Luxeon Rebel 100 and new K2 are at least twice as efficient as the previous Luxeon I, III, V and K2 LEDs. That means for the same power, the newer LEDs will output twice or more light then the previous LEDs.

1. L2D(CE, CE Q2, Rebel 80,Rebel 100 or CE Q5) vs Lenser, stock, I'll take the L2D over the Lenser, the L2D much more output. Modded Lenser? depends on what I'll use the light for. The L2D would proably be my choice because of it's multimode ability.
2. Described above.
3. Stock, the L2D would be brighter.
4. I don't know but Coast is known for overblowing runtime and of bad quality, but the lenser seems to be somewhat of an an exception. Check this thread for Fenix abuse.
5. Fenix Store has great customer service if you are in the US. Better then the manufacturer's warranty.

:welcome:

Sorry what do you mean by Coast as mentioned above.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
They are actually the same company or at least one a a part of the other.

Fenix Store also includes world wide shipping in their price. The L2D-CE Q5(150 something lumen out the front on turbo but around 10 lumen on low) would be $66.70 AU shipped after using the 8% off coupon.

fire-stick

Enlightened
Questions

1. If you had a choice which one would it be and why?
2. What LED bulb do the both above take eg Cree etc ?
3. Which one would be brighter ?
4. Are they both just as well made as one another i.e Lenser V Fenix
5. Warranty, which is better ?

1.The fenix! Why cause it's a good company that sells good lights, (I've owen two and I'm getting ready to buy an other).

2.The fenix to which you refer takes a 3 watt T-bin luxeon. (here's the chart)
http://fenix-store.com/fenixtable.html, and who know what kind of LED the other has.

3.I'd say the fenix, cause we know its a T-bin 3 watt luxen, but who know what the other light has. (Unless it's a U-bin or a cree)

4.I dont know?

5. I dont know....

Hope that help

Albinoni

Banned
Ok i've finally made up my decision and settled for a LED Lenser 7438 Version 3 Tactical Focus (aka Hocus Focus) I also did have a good look at the Fenix L2P in which I had my heart set on but out of the two the Lenser won me. This is their latest verison being verison 3 which I believe uses a 3watt Philips Luxeon LED also has 24kt gold plated terminals on the battery chamber and a very nice white powerful beam. I did also take a good look at the Fenix in which I also liked very much, but more expensive and I found the beam to be slightly weaker than the Lenser. But the Fenix was a very nice torch. The Lenser is slightly shorter but would say more stumpy looking where as the Fenix was taller but thinner. I was very happy with the performance with the Lenser especially its build quality and light output in which I believe to be 60 Lumens.

Ok I've heard one or two feedback here on this forum about the LED going yellow after a while, but I need to wait and see, because I dont think that everyone here whose owned a LED Lenser Tactical Focus 7438 has had this problem. Also I know this torch is used alot by our Police Force here in Australia.

Some questions

1. Can the bulb in these torches be changed/replaced?
2. What do you reccomend for the best Alkaline batts ?
3. What would you reccomend for rechargeables ?
4. Are there any pros and cons from using standard alkaline and rechargables

5. Is this torch waterprrof/dustprrof etc ?
6. Can I do any modifications and if so any links ?
7. Does this torch use a Luxeon LED ?

BTW Pardon my spelling :)

Thank you

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1. Yes, if you know what you are doing.
2. Well, those aren't really meant for high power LED lights. Too high drain.
3. Any thing from a good brand at or above 2000 mAh
4. Rechargeables will sag less in voltage and hold their capacity better when a high current load, check runtime graphs here(L1D and L2D-CE).

5. Which one? Both should be water resistant and relatively dust-proof.
6. Just use search.
7. Both use a Luxeon I or III.

Read this:

So if you installed a Seoul P4 U-bin LED in the L2P, you will get double the output for no less runtime.

The L2D-CE Q5 will be both brighter and cheaper if you buy from Fenix Store(check my posts above, will be over 150 lumen out the front or 175 at the emitter when run on turbo, much more then the 78 lumen at the emitter for the miller mods).

So go for a Cree/Seoul/Rebel light, more efficient and actually cheaper then the MIllermods

Last edited:

Albinoni

Banned
1. Yes, if you know what you are doing.
2. Well, those aren't really meant for high power LED lights. Too high drain.
3. Any thing from a good brand at or above 2000 mAh
4. Rechargeables will sag less in voltage and hold their capacity better when a high current load, check runtime graphs here(L1D and L2D-CE).

5. Which one? Both should be water resistant and relatively dust-proof.
6. Just use search.
7. Both use a Luxeon I or III.

Read this:

So if you installed a Seoul P4 U-bin LED in the L2P, you will get double the output for no less runtime.

The L2D-CE Q5 will be both brighter and cheaper if you buy from Fenix Store(check my posts above, will be over 150 lumen out the front or 175 at the emitter when run on turbo, much more then the 78 lumen at the emitter for the miller mods).

So go for a Cree/Seoul/Rebel light, more efficient and actually cheaper then the MIllermods

Thanks for your reply. Now re rechargeable batteries I've never ever come accross a 2000mAh or more AAA type battery. And I also dont think that Sanyo's Eneloop also comes that high.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2146627#post2146627
Ok i've finally made up my decision and settled for a LED Lenser 7438 Version 3 Tactical Focus (aka Hocus Focus) I also did have a good look at the Fenix L2P in which I had my heart set on but out of the two the Lenser won me. This is their latest verison being verison 3 which I believe uses a 3watt Philips Luxeon LED also has 24kt gold plated terminals on the battery chamber and a very nice white powerful beam. I did also take a good look at the Fenix in which I also liked very much, but more expensive and I found the beam to be slightly weaker than the Lenser. But the Fenix was a very nice torch. The Lenser is slightly shorter but would say more stumpy looking where as the Fenix was taller but thinner. I was very happy with the performance with the Lenser especially its build quality and light output in which I believe to be 60 Lumens.

Ok I've heard one or two feedback here on this forum about the LED going yellow after a while, but I need to wait and see, because I dont think that everyone here whose owned a LED Lenser Tactical Focus 7438 has had this problem. Also I know this torch is used alot by our Police Force here in Australia.

Some questions

1. Can the bulb in these torches be changed/replaced?
2. What do you reccomend for the best Alkaline batts ?
3. What would you reccomend for rechargeables ?
4. Are there any pros and cons from using standard alkaline and rechargables

5. Is this torch waterprrof/dustprrof etc ?
6. Can I do any modifications and if so any links ?
7. Does this torch use a Luxeon LED ?

BTW Pardon my spelling :)

Thank you

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I was actually saying if you go for a AA light, for AAA, I think anything above 750 mAh from a good company should be fine.